Sign in to follow this  

riding style adjustment...help!

a bunch of us early to mid 40 yr olds been riding for 2 or 3 years now.

How come I can beat them relatively easily in the forest trails and fast loop circuits with small and medium jumps, but the only day we try some flat easy grass tracks, i am struggling to keep up on my 08 450X.

They have old steel frame KXF250's, and yzf450s....

I have noticed I am actually riding more aggressively than them, but shooting past some corners on hard brakes being a heavier machine...

It's not just that the bike is heavier,  it also has quite a bit more reciprocating mass in the motor.

So, you get a stronger gyroscopic effect when setting up for a corner.

Letting the RPM's drop (clutch in) and squaring off the corner with lots of clutch helps, as does using an aggressive sag like 100/25 (fully geared up)

If your X is still stock tuning, a full uncorking, good pipe, and jetting will help, as will setting up the suspension to closely match your weight.

+1 for uncorking

Made a world of difference on my '13 450X

Same thing happened to me. I rode a WR250F for a couple years. Switched to the 450X and kept overshooting turns on tight single track. With time and practice, I learned to brake sooner. Strength of the 450X is rolling on the power coming out of the turn, especially with an uncorked motor.

I raised the rear preload a little and dropped the front a little in the fork tubes to help it turn quicker. Seems like I had to sit further forward than I thought to get it to turn.

a bunch of us early to mid 40 yr olds been riding for 2 or 3 years now.

How come I can beat them relatively easily in the forest trails and fast loop circuits with small and medium jumps, but the only day we try some flat easy grass tracks, i am struggling to keep up on my 08 450X.

They have old steel frame KXF250's, and yzf450s....

I have noticed I am actually riding more aggressively than them, but shooting past some corners on hard brakes being a heavier machine...

Hard to say really.. without seeing what's happening but you say you are riding more aggressively.. Sounds maybe like your lines and setup going in and out of turns.. The other guys are riding smoother and not working as hard and you're having a hard time keeping up?.. could be so many things.. suspension setup.. maybe the gearing.. sounds like fun though.. hard brakes?..doesn't sound right like the lines going in and out aren't right.. but still just guessing..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Oh, and try this:

Put ALL of you weight on the outside peg when you get on the throttle.

You will find that if you commit that weight, you can be much more aggressive with the throttle and the rear end will behave much better.

And along those lines, do you counter steer and let the rear slide, or do you try turn as you normally would through the corner?

Jim.

I am reckoning I am all power to the corner, then all brake at the corner, not smooth enough, so i will back off a bit and try to relax, it's quite a tight wee track and I am more used to (or better at) longer sweeping trails and corners than these guys.

The clincher on this track is 3 big doubles that none of us oldies has the balls to do, so we ride to the lift off and basically stop for the drop off, this is also where it evens out the riders, 3 stops on the track brings the riders back to within a few metres of eachother.

Only really had 2 or 3 good rides on this new bike to me, so i guess it will come eventually...

I agree with with Koolaid, Ive come of a lifetime of small bore 2st's and 4st's before the X, Ive really had to work at liking it. The first few rides I put it up for sale I hated it. Once resprung, valved, uncorked, jetted, setting up the chassis with a more forward weight bias Lower straight bars,100mm loaded with 33mm static, 20mm clamps etc etc its not a bad ride at all. Uncorking allows you to ride it like a tractor in higher gears and it corners really well. I can now hit small ruts hard at lower speeds and it goes where I want. Remember slow in fast out elbow up etc etc. I find on the X I have to talk to myself in tight stuff (yes going mad) "get forward",  "elbow up",  " Leg forward and toe pointed" This helps me.

MM

One other thing that has helped the X is mousse tubes you can hit things hard its a bike bike and hits hard. 

I agree with with Koolaid, Ive come of a lifetime of small bore 2st's and 4st's before the X, Ive really had to work at liking it. The first few rides I put it up for sale I hated it. Once resprung, valved, uncorked, jetted, setting up the chassis with a more forward weight bias Lower straight bars,100mm loaded with 33mm static, 20mm clamps etc etc its not a bad ride at all. Uncorking allows you to ride it like a tractor in higher gears and it corners really well. I can now hit small ruts hard at lower speeds and it goes where I want. Remember slow in fast out elbow up etc etc. I find on the X I have to talk to myself in tight stuff (yes going mad) "get forward",  "elbow up",  " Leg forward and toe pointed" This helps me.

MM

One other thing that has helped the X is mousse tubes you can hit things hard its a bike bike and hits hard. 

..oh, yeah, forgot about the fact that I too have 20mm clamps, Scotts damper set tight, and full ASRacing suspension set up for my weight. Worth EVERY F'ING CENT.

The x definitely wants to blow thru turns more than some others, but with proper technic(weight on outside peg, roll into throttle, lean forward) mine will start to pick up the front tire off of the ground while still in the corner. And coming out of the corner in a higher gear(more thump, less waaaaaa!) always seems to get me there quicker. Stage one cam helps with that.