Sign in to follow this  

how to bring back a drowned xc-f

If I drown my 2013 250 xcf by completely submerging it under water how and what would I have to

do to get it back running again?

I know what to do with a 2stroke but not this bike.

4 strokes hold up to water a bit better as long as its not hydrolocked. Change the oil, take the exhaust off and see if she turns over, if you're lucky it'll just shoot the water out and it'll run again...

Worst case is that all your electronics are fried and the bottom end is toast...

You're probably fine, it depends on if the motor sucked in water or not.

I'd drain the oil first and see if there is any water in it. If there is, then I'd pull the motor apart and clean everything off before I even tried to run it. If the oil is clean, then yea, put new oil in it, pop the spark plug, give it a bunch of kicks (e start) and let it sit over night to dry and then try to start it. It may start up and if it does, its probably gonna be ok.

I haven't drown my bike, maybe I should of been a bit clearer.

If I drown (water through air filter) my bike on a ride/race what do I need to do at the side of the track to get the bike running again?

4 strokes hold up to water a bit better as long as its not hydrolocked. Change the oil, take the exhaust off and see if she turns over, if you're lucky it'll just shoot the water out and it'll run again...

Worst case is that all your electronics are fried and the bottom end is toast...

You're probably fine, it depends on if the motor sucked in water or not.

I'd drain the oil first and see if there is any water in it. If there is, then I'd pull the motor apart and clean everything off before I even tried to run it. If the oil is clean, then yea, put new oil in it, pop the spark plug, give it a bunch of kicks (e start) and let it sit over night to dry and then try to start it. It may start up and if it does, its probably gonna be ok.

Well that would hydro lock the engine , so the only answer is to remove the spark plug and get all the water to pump out

Well that would hydro lock the engine , so the only answer is to remove the spark plug and get all the water to pump out

what about draining the water out of the carb?

It's fi I'm not sure how you would go about that

It's fi I'm not sure how you would go about that

Yes it is FI. No I have no idea either.

Would be good to know as many of the enduros and races I do have river crossings

Immediately, ya gotta do it the moment it happens. But water doesn't mix very well with lubrication, so in a lot of cases, water will get down behind the rings and into the crankcase, which is why I suggested changing the oil first to make sure there isn't any water in it.