Sign in to follow this  

What Type of Motor Oil, CRF230F

The Honda manual says to use 10W-30 and if I understand correctly the oil should not contain detergents and be rated for use in wet clutch applications.  What type of oil are you CRF230F owners using that can be bought at the local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts?

You can use Shell Rotella T 10-30 or 15-40 if you want a great conventional oil

If you would like to use Synthetic oil then I would highly recommend to use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5-40

Usually Wall Mart is the least expensive.....

IMO:

You cannot go wrong using either type, they are both excellent for your Honda.

Hello guys.

We must be careful to choose the oil for our bikes. 

We do not use oil for cars.

These oils are not suitable for our clutches.

In Europe we use oils that over the viscosity grades are also suitable for the specific clutches. JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization).

And 'the standard that affects our motorcycles, as the symbol JASO MA (or MA2) identify a suitable oil to clutches in an oil bath, while not okay an oil with the abbreviation JASO MB.

I do not know if these specifications are the same as in the USA

Hello guys.

We must be careful to choose the oil for our bikes.

We do not use oil for cars.

These oils are not suitable for our clutches.

In Europe we use oils that over the viscosity grades are also suitable for the specific clutches. JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization).

And 'the standard that affects our motorcycles, as the symbol JASO MA (or MA2) identify a suitable oil to clutches in an oil bath, while not okay an oil with the abbreviation JASO MB.

I do not know if these specifications are the same as in the USA

Yes that very true but he stated he wanted to pick up his oil at an auto parts store.

The Rotella products suggested will fill his needs.

Edited by adnohguy

We use a lot of Delo 20/50 in the big blue jug. My choice of oil from the local auto parts store. I can buy it almost anywhere in the quart or gallon jug.

Have been using it in our built motors for almost twenty years in our xr70, xr100/120, CRF150/225, xr250/277.

Ran over 100 Hare scrambles on these bikes without one DNF and not one clutch failure.

We use a lot of Delo 20/50 in the big blue jug. My choice of oil from the local auto parts store.

My local auto parts store doesn't carry that, so I guess I'll be going with one of the Shell Rotella oils or ordering something more appropriate online.

Actually, think I'll go with this one.  Autozone carries it.  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Castrol-1-qt-10W-40-4T-4-Stroke-motorcycle-oil/_/N-25ie?itemIdentifier=493838_0_0_

Edited by mossman77

that's a low quality motorcycle oil, imho rotella t6 would be better.

in theory the best oil would be: 100% syntetic motorcycle oil , 10w40, labeled jaso MA2 and API SN = not cheap (mobil 1 racing , motul 7100...)

that's a low quality motorcycle oil, imho rotella t6 would be better.

The description says it exceeds manufacturers' warranty requirements for engines requiring API-SG and JASO MA-2 standards though.  Don't get me wrong, I trust you know what you're talking about, but I'm inclined to use an oil that says it is specifically for 4-stroke motorcycle engines.

How about...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-10W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Oil-1qt/16767829

Edited by mossman77

one of the best oils on the market. absolutely recommended if you can afford it. better than posted castrol, by miles.

in beetwen these two extremes there are many semisynth motorcycle oils that can do the job.

which brands are available in your area?   

I my self have been using the Lucas motorcycle oil that I get from O'rielys auto parts specified good for wet clutches. Stays really clean between changes. Kinda like supporting them since they support the sport.

There are many good brand oils, important is to have the right specifications.

Perhaps this is negligible on stock crf230.

This is needed on modified crf230.

I use Castrol Power 1.

4T 10w-40

Definitely an excellent oil.

It has all the specifications as you can see from the photos.

1398936407048.jpg

1398936444154.jpg

1398936463827.jpg

Edited by Crossplayer

Rotella T6. 21.00 at Walmart with a 5.00 rebate. That's hard to beat for full Synthetic. I put this in everything. My 5 Dirtbikes to snow blower to lawn mower.

Everything in my garage runs on 15/50 Mobil 1 full synthetic car oil. Changed every three or four rides. Even the Hayabusa runs on Mobil 1. No clutch slippage ever noted.

My buddy and i always used Mobil1 auto oil in our Al Baker bikes.  No problems at all.

• Like 1

castrol power 1 is more than enough for crf230 but an excellent oil is different.

power 1 is an almost "obsolete" api sj , group III oil.

excellent oils are group IV  or group V  , labeled api sm or sn

My buddy and i always used Mobil1 auto oil in our Al Baker bikes.  No problems at all.

Yup still run it in the 1996 XR250-300cc bike. Original clutch never changed. In fact all bikes are on the original clutch and most have been used heavy. The only thing that slips is the pants on acceleration !

• Like 1

Service classification for Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (link I posted): API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF, JASO MA