Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 clutch: OEM or aftermarket?

I have an '06 YZ125 worked over to a 144 by Harris Performance. I was riding it on an MX track yesterday and it seems like the clutch is on its way out. Just wondering if there are better alternatives to OEM for clutch plates/springs or if OEM is the way to go. The price for OEM is not competitive, just wondering if something else would be better.

Can't speak in terms of yamaha oem clutch, but I know for a fact that tusk makes the best clutch kits. And if I had a yz I wouldn't even consider oem because of Tusk's reputation and quality. Always been good for me the springs are very tight

I don't know about them being "the best", but Tusk is adequate. I've used them with success and they get good reviews.

For the price they are hard to beat. You can buy 3 kits for the price of OEM.

You can buy an OEM clutch kit from Motosport for about $120. That includes fibers, metals, and new springs. To me it was a no brainer to go with OEM. image.jpg

OEM yammie is what I have always used in my yz's after market plates depending on brand could be cheap knock off's. OEM plates are made in japan using their fiber blend on the plates tusk are made where? They use their blend of fiber on the plates could be a little thicker or thinner then OEM their fiber blend could maybe change the drag feel in the lever. Then their springs maybe stiffer then OEM and that will make for a harder clutch pull could not match OEM spring length exactly. Then with the yz's the metal drive plates have a tapered smooth leading edge the after market one maybe cheap and not have this edge. Clutch will still work but you'll have added drag now all things need to be considered they will have an effect on feel in the lever.

Since you went 144 you should really consider upgrading the basket now at least to a billet unit.

On another note I have found that Amsoil full synthetic 10W-30 extends clutch life. I got 65 hrs on my 2012 yz250f and clutch was still good as new when I sold it, now I have 26 hrs on my 2014 yz125 and it's good as new also. Ordered the OEM replacement clutch kit just in case.

• Like 1

The stock Yamaha basket is made from butter.  I have good look with the Barnett basket because they rebuild theirs so cheaply by sending it back to them.  I imagine most any basket is a step up from stock.  All other parts of the clutches have held up well.  I just wish somebody made some hardened tabs for the fiber plates.  Does anybody have any input on that?  Our fiber plates, OEM and aftermarket don't wear out on the friction surface but on the outer tabs that go into the basket.

I will never buy another tusk clutch! I installed an entire new clutch and after 10 hours i had ears missing off the tusk friction plates. My new basket didn't show any sign of wear, i was good about oil changes and i torqued everything appropriately. My 125 gets revved hard and i thing the clutch gets abused worse than anything else, but i never expected to have a plate snap on my. For now on I am only going to go with OEM or quality brands i trust. I have tried a lot of tusk stuff and I've become really choosy about when i use tusk products. Some of there stuff is great, don't get me wrong. But they don't Always have the quality of other brands and that's important to me.

If tusk cost 20$ and the name brand part is 50, I don't want to buy the tusk product twice because the first one broke. What pisses me off most about this scenario is that you have to take apart your bike a second time, for me time is money.  

I have an '06 YZ125 worked over to a 144 by Harris Performance. I was riding it on an MX track yesterday and it seems like the clutch is on its way out. Just wondering if there are better alternatives to OEM for clutch plates/springs or if OEM is the way to go. The price for OEM is not competitive, just wondering if something else would be better.

Oem seems more than competitively priced to me. On motosport oem clutch kit is cheaper than Barnett, Hinson, ebc or any other kits and it comes with the clutch cover gasket.

Sorry, I meant OEM is competitively priced. I think I'll stick with OEM this time. I have tried Tusk on another bike and wasn't happy.

Been using EBC clutch kits and Rotella T5 10w30.  Things look good and my son is brutal on clutches.