Sign in to follow this  

Moto Ride Sharing Site

Getting ready to head out to the San Rafael Swell in Utah for a weekend of wearing out motorcycles. I was looking for a web site like we have in the peddly bike world where people post their GPS tracks for information sharing. In the bicycle world we have mapmyride, strava, garmin connect, and others. Even with my google ninja skillz I was unable to find anything comparable for the offroad/dual sport world. Certainly it's out there.

What do you guys use if anything?

Edited by ColoradoTom

I'd actually be quite surprised if something like that exsisted. Just way too much risk and liability. That doesn't even account for the upkeep and maintenance for something like that. I don't think it work for peoples "personal" bikes either, as I don't want random people riding my motorcycles.

I see a bicycle. You can get away with basically no matinenance to a basic bicycle and it will last a very long time. The risk and liability is relatively low, compared to a motorcycle.

I'd actually be quite surprised if something like that exsisted. Just way too much risk and liability. That doesn't even account for the upkeep and maintenance for something like that. I don't think it work for peoples "personal" bikes either, as I don't want random people riding my motorcycles.

I see a bicycle. You can get away with basically no matinenance to a basic bicycle and it will last a very long time. The risk and liability is relatively low, compared to a motorcycle.

Thanks, but I think you mis-understood. Not sharing your ride as in sharing your bike--sharing your ride as in "I just did this awesome loop in the desert, here's the GPS track."

I'm not into sharing my DRZ any more than you are. I'm a selfish fscker that way.

EDIT: Not true about bicycles. If you really use a mountain bike, stuff breaks and wears out just like on any other mechanical equipment. In big years I've ridden over 5000 miles. That's typically 3-4 chains, possibly sprockets too, 3-5 rear tires, 1-2 front tires, 2-4 sets of brake pads... and that's just wear and tear. If you don't keep your drivetrain clean and lubed, you'll get even less mileage. Bicycle suspension forks and shocks need way way more maintenance than moto stuff. Typical high end forks for an mtb recommend full rebuild every 50-100 hours. That's overkill, unless you ride in the wet. Then it's not. If you're really riding, 100 hours is maybe 3 months.

Just like anything else--if it sits in the garage most of the time, it doesn't need maintenance.

Edited by ColoradoTom

Thanks, but I think you mis-understood. Not sharing your ride as in sharing your bike--sharing your ride as in "I just did this awesome loop in the desert, here's the GPS track."

Haha, yeah I completely mis-read that. I was thinking you meant like the shareable bicycle programs in some large cities.

EDIT: Not true about bicycles.

Oh trust me I know, my BMX bike takes a surprising amount of work. Of course again I was thinking more along the lines of the cheap standard bikes that those bike sharing programs in cities use. You can ride those things for a long time without much issue.

"Just like anything else--if it sits in the garage most of the time, it doesn't need maintenance."

This is a lie. Ever seen a car stored in a garage and never driven? The sucker leaks like a sieve.

The weight of the driveshafts on the oil seals de-forms them over time and lets oil leak by the seal.

Other seals get dry and rot, making more leaks. No bueno. You gotta drive a car.

I won't even get started on what mice do to stuff in garages.

That DualsportMaps site is pretty cool, even though it's broken. Thanks for posting that. 

I have used Strava on my scooter out at Red River Trails in far North Texas. It works pretty good. There are even some segments set out there to beat. Maybe Strava can eventually make a 'motorized vehicle' section just like they have 'bike' and 'run'.

a lot of that kind of stuff is at the state levels.  State sites with the links to the riding clubs or groups active in the state. Often gps map routes there or links too.