Sign in to follow this  

Bike Stand Height

I ordered a Moose Racing Fundamental Bike Stand and I wasn't able to get my bike up on the stand.  I watched a couple videos online and understand how it's done, but the stand is just over 17" high whereas the CRF230F clearance is just under 11" I believe.  Do stands come in different heights or are most of them this tall?  I may just end up getting a hydraulic jack/lift at HF.

Edited by mossman77

Gotta lift that mofo lol. With my dad's ttr230 we just wrestle her up on a stand one on each side, or we just use the jack lift. Way easier

I ordered a Moose Racing Fundamental Bike Stand and I wasn't able to get my bike up on the stand.  I watched a couple videos online and understand how it's done, but the stand is just over 17" high whereas the CRF230F clearance is just under 11" I believe.  Do stands come in different heights or are most of them this tall?  I may just end up getting a hydraulic jack/lift at HF.

That's about the normal height of most dirt bike stands.  There's really no special trick to get the bike up on the stand other than woof it.  I usually station some of my stands next to the bike, lift up on one side of the front forks, and with a foot slide it under and let it down.  One of the cheapest stands/lifts for dirt bikes I've come across is that from Harbor Freight when on sale for only $19.95 + tax.  Liked it so much, I bought three of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

You have to assemble it when you buy it out of a box, so if you do decide to buy into it, make sure it's on sale or cough up the additional $10 they usually go for, and when you go put it together, do a good job and use grease on all it's pivot points.  These stands are by far the least expensive and easiest to use.  Just slide it under your bike, use the foot lever, and lock it down with a pin. :thumbsup::devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

just get down and grab the back tire and do a squat. make sure you don't lose balance while you lift it. that's how I used to do it when I couldn't lift it by the rear fender

That's about the normal height of most dirt bike stands. There's really no special trick to get the bike up on the stand other than woof it. I usually station some of my stands next to the bike, lift up on one side of the front forks, and with a foot slide it under and let it down. One of the cheapest stands/lifts for dirt bikes I've come across is that from Harbor Freight when on sale for only $19.95 + tax. Liked it so much, I bought three of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

You have to assemble it when you buy it out of a box, so if you do decide to buy into it, make sure it's on sale or cough up the additional $10 they usually go for, and when you go put it together, do a good job and use grease on all it's pivot points. These stands are by far the least expensive and easiest to use. Just slide it under your bike, use the foot lever, and lock it down with a pin. :thumbsup::devil:

Hey yz I've been waiting to hear from you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's having problems getting there bikes up. I have matrix stands I only have problems with the thumper I feel like I'm to short to get it up I'm strong like a bull to they are high stands:D
  • Like 1

I'll give it another try this weekend, but something tells me I'll be heading to HF to pick up a lift.  Is the oil drain plug accessible when using that HF lift or do I even need to put it on a lift to change the oil?

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1

Hey yz I've been waiting to hear from you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's having problems getting there bikes up. I have matrix stands I only have problems with the thumper I feel like I'm to short to get it up I'm strong like a bull to they are high stands:D

Sup CAS, yeah, just logged on a few and wanted to see what the hoo haw was here?  Not much going on today.  Another nice day come and soon to be gone when I should be out there roostin.  I've been tripping out on the E bikes, man they're something else.  I just wonder how well they would fare with the type of riding I do with my smokers.  On a full tank on any of my rigs (3.8+ Gallons), I usually head out to open desert and ride for about 90 minutes non stop.  That's about when my tank starts to vapor and I have to head back get more.  I can't see these E bikes doing the same thing.  Around a track they look great, but I'm not so sure they will ever out last 4 gallons of fuel, that is unless they go from E to Nuclear.  What the hell you doing today out in Jersey?  I've got a cousin that live out there.  We've sorted of strayed apart and I haven't spoken to her in more than 10 years, but she's out there.  She was living here in CA with us for a while and just couldn't cope with the California life and headed back east.  You go for a ride today?  How that foot? :devil:

I'll give it another try this weekend, but something tells me I'll be heading to HF to pick up a lift.  Is the oil drain plug accessible when using that HF lift or do I even need to put it on a lift to change the oil?

Not really, that's one of it's flaws unless you pre fab a stand to give you access to precisely where the plug is.  When I do oil changes on my rigs, I have over head straps I use to hold the bike up straight by way of handlebars.  As a matter of fact, just like you would use straps to tie down your rig on a bed of a truck or trailer.  I mostly use my stands to keep my rigs upright and when I have other duties to perform again, aside from changing oil. :devil:

Stand on the right side of bike, put your right hand on the grip and pull the front brake and hold it. Reach over with left hand and find somewhere good to lift from. Usually around the lower subframe mount is good. Then lift it up and put it on the stand.

Sup CAS, yeah, just logged on a few and wanted to see what the hoo haw was here? Not much going on today. Another nice day come and soon to be gone when I should be out there roostin. I've been tripping out on the E bikes, man they're something else. I just wonder how well they would fare with the type of riding I do with my smokers. On a full tank on any of my rigs (3.8+ Gallons), I usually head out to open desert and ride for about 90 minutes non stop. That's about when my tank starts to vapor and I have to head back get more. I can't see these E bikes doing the same thing. Around a track they look great, but I'm not so sure they will ever out last 4 gallons of fuel, that is unless they go from E to Nuclear. What the hell you doing today out in Jersey? I've got a cousin that live out there. We've sorted of strayed apart and I haven't spoken to her in more than 10 years, but she's out there. She was living here in CA with us for a while and just couldn't cope with the California life and headed back east. You go for a ride today? How that foot? :devil:

I had doctors ap this morning it's been raining and cold..I feel like I'm in Seattle. The guy having problems getting his bike on the stand should stand himself on something sturdy a few inches high so he can get the bike on his stand I know exactly what he's talking about and I have 120 dollar all fancy looking color coordinated..They even have it wrong with my boys 50sx stand the platform is higher on one side I don't know why they made the stand like that.
  • Like 1

Not really, that's one of it's flaws unless you pre fab a stand to give you access to precisely where the plug is. When I do oil changes on my rigs, I have over head straps I use to hold the bike up straight by way of handlebars. As a matter of fact, just like you would use straps to tie down your rig on a bed of a truck or trailer. I mostly use my stands to keep my rigs upright and when I have other duties to perform again, aside from changing oil. :devil:

Why don't you jump over to the 2t 4t thread.

I had doctors ap this morning it's been raining and cold..I feel like I'm in Seattle. The guy having problems getting his bike on the stand should stand himself on something sturdy a few inches high so he can get the bike on his stand I know exactly what he's talking about and I have 120 dollar all fancy looking color coordinated..They even have it wrong with my boys 50sx stand the platform is higher on one side I don't know why they made the stand like that.

I've got two more appointments to deal with this week (one tomorrow with my surgeon, the other with my urologist Friday) and it's smooth sailing until next week Wednesday when I have to go see my oncologist again to take more culture samples.  I'm actually feeling a lot stronger than I did a few days ago, so I'm getting enthusiastic and even looking at the calendar now to figure out when I can go riding again.  In order for me to go riding, I've got drive at least 3 hours up to the high desert, and I'm not going to invest 6 hour round trip driving for just a day's ride, so my trips have to be at least 3 days long.  I'm going for a new record this summer and hopefully try to provision 4-5 days instead.  That's why I'm always dreaming of the perfect situation for me to go riding, and that is, win the lotto, by me some acreage out in the desert, and build me one bad ass house with pool, man with everything, so all I have to freaking do, is gear up, go to my garage, hop on one of my bikes, hit that remote control I keep talking about putting on my handle bars, and just shoot  out of my garage into open desert.  It just can't any sweeter than that.  :thumbsup::devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 2

Stand on the right side of bike, put your right hand on the grip and pull the front brake and hold it. Reach over with left hand and find somewhere good to lift from. Usually around the lower subframe mount is good. Then lift it up and put it on the stand.

That sours like it would work but I had my left bicep tendon cut in half and reattached to my scapula with some titanium hardware still healing.

...I'm right handed, but that is the technique I will try again (from the left side).

I got a bad back 2 pretty major surgeries so no big lifting  :naughty: i bought one of those jack stands . Just slide it under and step on the pedal , not a very good pic pedals on the other side but no hydraulics and crap just a simple cam like design .

IMG_2124.JPG

+1

Works for me.  My back isn't in the best shape either so jerking a 250 lb bike up onto a stand isn't very wise. 

BTW, the oil drain plug is on the side, not the bottom as I originally thought.  Honda manual says to drain the oil with the bike on the ground.