Sign in to follow this  

Your go-to on/off road truck tire

Hey I'm in the market for a new set of 31x10.15R15 tires. My budget is about 175 a tire before taxes/fees, but feel free to post whatever you have had good experiences with.

Main points I am looking for are: long tread life, good mud traction, good gravel/loose traction, cost. 

Points that don't matter much: road noise, snow traction, general road manners (I take it easy)

So what's that tire you always buy and try to push on everyone you see?  :p

That's a dying tire size man... you want to look at a 265/75R15, its identical to what you want but will cost less since they are more common. 

I like the Cooper Discovery ATR or A/T3. The A/T3 replaced the ATR model and is a better tire for traction and road noise. The only downside to the A/T3 is that they wear faster on my 9000LB GMC work truck. The cooper will run you between 130$ and 170$ a tire depending on the load range.

My other choice would be the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10. I threw a pair on my 1/2 ton pickup the first year they came out and it ended up being a great tire. they were dirt cheap at the time and i took a gamble but it payed off. I would have kept buying them but after 2 years of being on the market their price went up by 50 bucks per tire. They should be about 160 a tire and are a little more aggressive than the Cooper.

M/Ts blow ass in the mud, almost as much as any A/T, and are worse in every other aspect. You might as well go with a cheaper tire that is smoother, quieter, and lasts longer. I really like my Duratracs in the 31" flavor. The next set I buy will either Duratracs, or the newer Adventures.

Wrangler Duratrac, I put 80,000km on my truck every year and these are the single best tires I have ever used. 80% of the trucks used up north run these tires....

You couldn't pay me to run BFGs, literally sand blasted the paint off my fenders in 10k, the amount of stones they throw and the shitty winter performance make for a horrible tire IMO...

Ill agree with the Goodyear Duratracs.  They seem better than the BFG A/T's in every aspect except maybe road noise, but compared to the Super Swamper SSR's I had before, they are very quiet.  They perform very well offroad for an A/T tire, good in snow and on slick/icy/hardpack snow roads.  I cant say much about mud, I try to avoid the stuff if at all possible and only get into it if I have to, but they seem just as good as any other A/T tire, but the only thing thats really gona be any good in mud... is a mud tire.

I have a Tacoma so its not exactly a heavy weight tire eating truck, but if you dont keep the alignment in check the IFS can eat tires and cause them to wear funky.  Iv had problems with it in the past wearing the front tires funny due to alignment, especially the Super Swampers I had, every other lug was worn off.  I have been very happy with the wear of these tires thou, got them in 2011 and have 26,500 miles on them now.  They are wearing extremely even, so much so that its hard to tell how much the tread has really even worn.  Id say the tread is still well over 50% life left, probably more.  Given the shape their in now I expect I could get another 20-25,000 out of them before the tread becomes worn enough that traction starts to become a big problem.

Im running the exact size your looking for, 31x10.5x15, but my next set Ill probably get a metric size, because they are way more common than the inch sizes anymore, like mentioned a 265/75/15 is virtually the same size as the 31's.

Around here you always used to see the BFG A/Ts on the majority of pickups, now you see the Duratracs everywhere and hardly see a BFG A/T anymore.  Even the utility companies are running them on their work trucks, which I think says something given that around here they have to be able to run the powerline roads and get into very rural and remote places out in the boonies and on ranches and stuff.

I have a set of Goodyear wrangles now actually, they are a Canadian only variant called the wrangler territory. They have treated me well but I'm looking for a bigger tire to fill out the fender gaps because I just added another 2 inches of lift. These will be going on a little tracker so load range is also not important.

Looks like a might be sticking with the goodyears maybe. I really like those BFg t/a's too and their reviews online seem great.

Decisions, decisions...

Toyo Open Country AT2's. They are good in the mud, snow and rain and they last a long time. Great all around tire. I would say BFG AT's but they don't get good mud traction at all but they are by far the longest lasting AT tire there is. This is all SoCal driving/offroad. For the last 20 years I have have nothing but AT's on all my vehicles. If you are looking for a long lasting tire that is quiet, duratracs are not for you. Great performing tire but they are heavy so you will lose some MPG's, they are noisy compared to all other AT's and they are some of the fastest wearing AT's.

Toyo Open Country AT2's. They are good in the mud, snow and rain and they last a long time. Great all around tire. I would say BFG AT's but they don't get good mud traction at all but they are by far the longest lasting AT tire there is. This is all SoCal driving/offroad. For the last 20 years I have have nothing but AT's on all my vehicles. If you are looking for a long lasting tire that is quiet, duratracs are not for you. Great performing tire but they are heavy so you will lose some MPG's, they are noisy compared to all other AT's and they are some of the fastest wearing AT's.

I challenge your Toyo claim.... And your Duratrac claim...

I challenge your Toyo claim.... And your Duratrac claim...

cool. I speaking from my experience.

Hey I'm in the market for a new set of 31x10.15R15 tires. My budget is about 175 a tire before taxes/fees, but feel free to post whatever you have had good experiences with.

Main points I am looking for are: long tread life, good mud traction, good gravel/loose traction, cost. 

Points that don't matter much: road noise, snow traction, general road manners (I take it easy)

So what's that tire you always buy and try to push on everyone you see?  :p

What are they going on?

I run radial Maxxis Trepadors, they meet all of your criteria and are more competitively priced than most muddies. They are dearer than run of the mill ATs though.

They do well on some of your points that don't matter too.

What are they going on?

I run radial Maxxis Trepadors, they meet all of your criteria and are more competitively priced than most muddies. They are dearer than run of the mill ATs though.

They do well on some of your points that don't matter too.

They are going on a chevy tracker.

Anyone have experience with Kelly tires? Namely the Safari TSR? They are made in America and owned by Goodyear, looks similar to the duratracs.

They are going on a chevy tracker.

Anyone have experience with Kelly tires? Namely the Safari TSR? They are made in America and owned by Goodyear, looks similar to the duratracs.

By your name and the fact you were asking about 31s I guessed you were in a Suzuki.

Your car will not wear full mud tires very quick. I'd get full muds.

Also, be careful of driveline strength on Grand Vitara's / Chevy trackers. There is a guy on our board running 32's and he breaks his car more regularly than anyone I've seen.

He is smashing not just CVs but also front diffs, he does have a steel front housing too.

IMG_2013100838988_zpsb921d8fc.jpg

However you could have a SAS for all I know, but if you did you wouldn't be asking about 31s.

I'd do the most aggressive mud tires you can buy in a 30.

I'm on my second front dif right now (aluminum) and it is cracked on the mount again. I just chained it it yet crossmember now though. Horrible design, the second you are stuck and try to reverse it's done. Other than that though it's been pretty indestructible.

I'm on my second front dif right now (aluminum) and it is cracked on the mount again. I just chained it it yet crossmember now though. Horrible design, the second you are stuck and try to reverse it's done. Other than that though it's been pretty indestructible.

Get a steel housing and run 30*9.5 IMO.

Its a good suzuki size. Are you SWB or LWB?

Get a steel housing and run 30*9.5 IMO.

Its a good suzuki size. Are you SWB or LWB?

I plan to in time, but they are getting hard to find and people want way too much for them. Mine is a 2003 SWB.

What benefits would come from running the 30 or the 31?