Sign in to follow this  

Need help with first dualsport

Ok, this is gonna be a long one, sorry. 

My name is Ryan, I live in Illinois, close to St. Louis and I am looking for my first bike\dualsport to use as my daily driver and commuter/adventure bike. 

Here's my questions of concern, first off, my budget is $3000(for bike and legalities)

I'm 5ft 5in so I'm a short dude, touching the ground will be a problem for me.

And probably the most asked and annoying question of all, as far as ride height goes, the 250's are perfect for me, but I feel like 250cc won't be good for long highway commutes(45-50 miles to and from 4 times a week) going anywhere from 60mph-70mph, but the 650's are damn near up to the middle of my rib cage when I stand next to them. Is there a 450 or 400cc dualsport offered by any company? Any help would be much appreciated, I am still learning the in's and out's of dirtbikes so bear with me as I learn.

go to bike shops and sit on the different ones.  with that many miles on the freeway you will not be comfotable on a 250 motor wise.  maybe go sit on a Suzuki DR400S they are lower than some.  then look for one used if it fits you ok.  also the older DR350's can be found a little cheaper, but you get so much more bike with the newer 400.

there are many other bikes out there.  but IMHO that would be a good fit for you. 

if you weren't doing so many freeway miles i would recommend a Yamaha WR 250 or that XT225 they had for a while.  nice and light with a mellow power output.

Edited by hawaii500_1999

If you can fit on a Yamaha XT250, you can fit on a Suzuki DR650 with the factory lowering link and a gel seat. I've done it. Both bikes will have an identical seat height of 31.9 inches.

I got my licence on an XR250, gave that to my son when a 2004 DR650 was offered to me. Great bike, i have ridden it from Wodonga, Vic to Sydney, NSW and it sat on the freeway at 130k without a problem, apart fro my sore arse. I'm 46, 91kg, 6'2"