Sign in to follow this  

Picked up a 2003 KX 250

I got this 2003 KX250 for $1000 from a guy on craigslist. Some rust here and there, needs a lot of cleaning, and had to get a new kickstart lever but it does run and starts first kick! 

I will be slowly working out the bugs and making it my own. 

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

kx250.jpg

needs some work doing, but its a good deal. whats with the spray paint haha? mines pretty similar, needs a bit of tlc and to make it my own!! good luck

this was an "abandoned vehicle" and was purchased from a police auction, which is probably why it has that spray painted number on it haha

already have some parts and have been cleaning it so I will post some more pics as I go..

Heres a few more...spark arrestor came with it, I will be getting an R304...and also, nice clutch cable huh?

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

Wow, nice bike man, and not bad for a grand eh? looks like you're from Edmonton by your name, I'm moving back there this summer. Good luck on this bike

Thanks YZX. Im actually from Michigan, so im obviously a wings fan. But oilers are my number 2 for sure!! 

Haha, good to know, keep us updated with the project and good luck!

You should pull the cylinder.  From the looks of it, it was prob stolen, beat on, and left somewhere.  Glad it found a home!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Yes Jeekinz, I plan on doing a complete frame up rebuild this winter. But for right now im gonna clean it up and ride it.

hahaa. bikes look so funny without forks and a rear tire.

Looks like a futuristic hover bike. 

hoverbike_fullscreen_1.jpg

Take a wire wheel to that exhaust. Then some 300 grit, then 1500, then 3000. It'll polish up like a penny.

Edited by izzo
  • Like 1

Cleaned it up a bit. Doesnt look so bad when you dont see the spray paint on there. Cleaned up the pipe a bit with some fine sand paper and WD-40. Looks decent. Got a new clutch cable and an asv lever for it too.

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

• Like 1

Your bike upon purchase isn't as awful to look at, as my 98, after 6 months. My top-end is coming off(130+hrs on current piston... Gotta be close to grenading). Full suspension overhaul...maybe new skin. Congrats on your new toy.

Cleaned it up a bit. Doesnt look so bad when you dont see the spray paint on there. Cleaned up the pipe a bit with some fine sand paper and WD-40. Looks decent. Got a new clutch cable and an asv lever for it too.

looks great IMHO, you're making really good progress too. Keep up the good work and may I suggest changing the transmission oil very frequently as these are super powerful bikes. You don't want metal shavings floating around in there. It messes things up bad lol.

Got a new plastic kit, case saver, and a Pro Circuit R304 silencer. Bike is actually looking pretty good now.

One of the subframe mounts for the silencer is broken off. I dont know if im gonna buy a used subframe or have it fabbed / welded. 

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

• Like 1

Man, the bike looks mint. Good one on the case saver. I'd say don't worry about the one silencer mount. One bolt will be good enough.

Thanks guys. But yeah it is going to rub, not even sure what size sprockets are on it. I need to get some new sprockets / chain anyways so I will be able to choose what gearing I want to run. Its going to be set up for motocross. 

That chain guard sure does look too snug.  Check stock gearing vs. what is on there.  I know on my 2005 KX250, Kawasaki sells a 14T guard, as compared to the stock 13T guard.

Your hard work is paying off.  Good job.

Yes my manual says that stock for my 2003 is 13/49...Just went out and looked and I have a 14/49...never really thought about having different sized case savers, but when I ordered it (eBay) it said nothing about different sizes, only that it fits 2003-2004 kx250...