Sign in to follow this  

03 YZ125 Clutch Question

Hello,

I just recently picked up an 03 YZ125. I've had a chance to rip it around a little bit and the bike feels great other than a little TLC here and there. When I bought the bike it had been sitting for a while so I'm going through the process of regular maintenance. Fresh oils, air filter, spark plug, chain/sprockets, etc... Anyways, when I went to ride the bike the other day it was in 1st gear so I engaged the clutch expecting the bike to roll which it did not. If I kept trying it would eventually begin to roll but really putting some force against me. I dumped the gear oil and it was old and pretty dirty. It also had very very VERY fine pieces of aluminum, almost like a powder (Which im reading is not out of the ordinary?) Either way I confirmed with a magnet that it was not metal and didn't come across any metal shavings. After changing the oil I rode the bike for about 10-15 minutes to get everything circulated and nice and hot. I came to a stop, held the clutch in and let the bike idle in 1st which it did just fine. I shut the bike off, hopped off and tried to roll it again with the clutch engaged and in 1st gear. It was still a little hesitant to have a consistent roll but it had gotten better. Next I rode the bike for about another 10-15mins but this time I was hammering on it. Everything felt smooth, didn't miss a shift and the bike felt great. Again I idled the bike in 1st and took off again and it was fine. I turned the bike off, hopped off and rolled it again with the clutch engaged in 1st gear. This time it got a lot better but still didn't feel nearly as good as if the bike were rolling in neutral.

Any thoughts on what the problem (If any) could be? Is there something more I should be looking at?

Please Note:

1. The bike will not start in 1st or any gear. Only in neutral.

2. If I shift the bike from neutral to 1st the bike will die instantly UNLESS I give the bike a few revs then shift to first, then it is OK.

3. I have only tried adjusting the clutch cable at the Lever. I see on the cable there is a second adjustment but I am not to familiar with it. When I made the adjustment at the lever it did not seem to make any difference.

4. When I replaced the oil I used Yamalube - Transmission Oil.

Please weigh in your thoughts.

Thank You,

Chris

Chris, This is quite normal, nothing to be worried about. You might have some clutch plates that are beginning to show some signs of warpage, which is making it more pronounced than average, or it just might seem like it to you! The clutch doesn't dis-engage by much at all when the clutch lever is pulled in, only by millimeters is all. So it's difficult to roll a bike around while in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in! When your in gear, with the clutch pulled in, bike running, and you slowly start to release the clutch lever, does the bike smoothly start to roll forward? Or does it "lurch" forward? If it doesn't start to smoothly roll forward, then the clutch basket might be starting to develop some "notchs" into it, from the previous owner.

Thanks Maniac for the reply. I will have to confirm whether the bike Lurches forward or rolls smoothly. I figured it wasn't too out of the ordinary however I still have a few questions that are raising a bit of concern.

1. Why does the bike refuse to start in any other gear besides neutral? Note that when I try to start the bike in gear that it does Lurch forward and fails to start.

2. Why is it necessary that I have to give the bike a few revs before shifting into first out of neutral? If I just shift the bike down into 1st gear it will lurch forward and die instantly. But if I give it a few revs first it will be fine and I can proceed to take off.

Thanks!

Thanks Maniac for the reply. I will have to confirm whether the bike Lurches forward or rolls smoothly. I figured it wasn't too out of the ordinary however I still have a few questions that are raising a bit of concern.

1. Why does the bike refuse to start in any other gear besides neutral? Note that when I try to start the bike in gear that it does Lurch forward and fails to start.

2. Why is it necessary that I have to give the bike a few revs before shifting into first out of neutral? If I just shift the bike down into 1st gear it will lurch forward and die instantly. But if I give it a few revs first it will be fine and I can proceed to take off.

Thanks!

Well, if your bike "lurches", then it's probably the clutch basket developing some notching that's causing these issues. And the reason why you can only shift down into 1st with some rev's involved, is because of those "notches" causing clutch drag. It's basically causing you to try and start out in gear, since the clutch lever is not able to overcome enough of the clutch drag.