Sign in to follow this  

Girlfriend needs helmet, having a hard time.

I'm having a bit of trouble here. Me and my girlfriend have been helmet shopping a lot lately and we can't seem to get something that fits her. It's like she is in between sizes S and XS. She has tried on Fox, Fly, HJC, Thor, and even some of the higher end helmets like the Shoei VFX-W. The small is too big and the XS is too small. She has short hair like a pixie cut and doesn't seem to have an odd shape head. Looks like intermediate oval.

Anyone else run into this problem? I was thinking maybe she needs to get a small and put in the XS cheek pads or something. Her current HJC is a small but is too big and I don't want her to use it.

I have the same problem, for me a medium will be too loose after a dozen ride but a small hurts my head for the first months or so. 

I ended up buying the smaller size and dealing with the discomfort until the pads break-in. For a while i couldn't wear the new helmet for more than 15 minutes at a time. I ended up wearing it around the house daily until it was bearable to wear for an hour.

Maybe try looking at helmets that have thicker padding in them (Thor or One Industries)? I went with a Shoei and i think that may have been a mistake. The small compact padding in that helmet made it really hard to break it in properly. Its fine now, but when i first got it the think hurt my ears and temples.

Remember one thing, after a while the helmet will loosen up