Sign in to follow this  

Washington Best WA Riding in mid July?

I love me some good old WA epic single track like at Gifford Pinchot, Devil's Backbone, Naches, etc. The thing is, they are all at some elevation and snow makes for some relatively short (full access) seasons. I typically ride these areas mid August through September and rarely, if ever, run into snow.

My question for you guys who live closer to these areas is, in mid July will there still be impassable snow in the upper elevations of these areas? Where would be the best "epic single track" with enough trails for 3 days of riding in mid July? I live in the Portland area but am willing to drive to pretty much anywhere in WA.

You can follow spring thaw, and trail clearing  progress, for Taneum at this facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/111519812220018/

Taneum does open up sooner than GP so you have a good chance in July, but it does vary by year.  The trails in most of the Naches area are snow free by Memorial Day but lately the Ranger district has kept them closed because of moisture/water.  In Taneum I use to open low elevation trails on Memorial Day but usually later in June for the higher elevations.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 2

I live about 20min.from the cheese and ride there often and by July the trails are perfect.

FYI the trails there open June 15th .

Edited by waycrazy1
  • Like 1

I live about 20min.from the cheese and ride there often and by July the trails are perfect.

FYI the trails there open June 15th .

But usually trails in GP are not melted and logged by mid July. Naches and Taneum should be mostly snow free by then.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Trying to plan a trip now and want to make sure I avoid the snow as much as possible.

Is Taneum known by any other names? I think I have ridden there before, but it was called something else on the trail map I had (mad river area?)

Edited by woods-rider

Go to switchbacks.com and download their trails and topos maps, just make a contribution to help them continue their good work.  The downloads are for Garmin's  "Map Source" or "Base Camp" programs  and are free.

Taneum has a lot of trails and loops. Best access is from Naches camp grounds or Taneum Junction CG.  From the I5 corridor it is a tough climb up to the plateau so staging out of Naches or Taneum junction is easier.  Once up on top lots of trails with great vistas. The Cle Elum ranger district web site has data on trail difficulties and mileage. Can be dusty in mid-late summer.

Also Green Trails topo maps, available at most outfitters,  #239 & 240 cover most of the area.

Cle elum district maps that include Taneum are here.....    http://threedouglass.com/orv_maps.html

Joe

Cle Elum, that's what I was thinking of. I have been there before and have that map.

Thanks for the help guys, now to just find a long weekend that works for my group.

i don't have facebook. but i hope theres plans to fix the climbing part of the windy pass trail this year, my jaw dropped this last year when i saw those 6 foot deep trenches they turned into

i don't have facebook. but i hope theres plans to fix the climbing part of the windy pass trail this year, my jaw dropped this last year when i saw those 6 foot deep trenches they turned into

Steve.....why don't you come out and volunteer starting this weekend at Taneum and help get the trees and debris cleared?  That will help speed up the process to THEN get to other lesser needs there like the section you describe.  By the way, what do you mean by windy pass trail?  No such animal so I don't know where you mean. Cle elum ridge trail, or North fork Taneum trail both go to windy pass. Instead of waiting for things to be "fixed" by a district that ( as we know) gets very little $$ help....get out and make things happen as a volunteer :thumbsup:  :ride:

Joe

• Like 1

Steve.....why don't you come out and volunteer starting this weekend at Taneum and help get the trees and debris cleared? That will help speed up the process to THEN get to other lesser needs there like the section you describe. By the way, what do you mean by windy pass trail? No such animal so I don't know where you mean. Cle elum ridge trail, or North fork Taneum trail both go to windy pass. Instead of waiting for things to be "fixed" by a district that ( as we know) gets very little $$ help....get out and make things happen as a volunteer :thumbsup::ride:

Joe

I was tentativlg planning on if as I have in past. Problem is everything seems to be on Facebook anymore and I absolutely hate Facebook. Someone needs to post up here on TT if it happens
  • Like 1

F facebook. That thing is Anti-American

It's just a place where people post up exaggerations and outright lies about thier lives. Plus the fact that fellow workers or other undesirables can gain access...yeah eff that in the ear.

The Rangers at Cle Elum run the facebook page and post info about trail status,  There is also a Yahoo user group for Capitol Forest that provides a similar function as a clearing house for CF activities and status.  

Just don't list any info that you consider private and there won't be any hacking issues.

Here is a link for Cle Elum:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/111519812220018/

And Capitol Forest: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CapitolForestRecreation/info

The Cle Elum Trails Off-Road Team group on FB is great. If you hate FB you can just create an account and only join that group and enable email notifications on new posts. I'm going out with the volunteer clearing crew that meets up at Taneum Junction on Saturday 5/10 @ 10am. Anyone is invited to join, no certifications needed.

• Like 1