Sign in to follow this  

Adding oil to front forks...what to expect?

Husaberg 2014 501fe. Forks too soft. I had them altered via springs, valves,etc. i put 20wt oil in them. Finally dang near stiff enough. I thought i could add oil myself and save on cost since i already dumped so much money into them. I am worried the extra oil with make the rebound too bouncy. I am also concerned about things i don't know

Contact the tuner.....20 wt oil is a red flag....

• Like 1

Yes, whoever did the revalve and took your money to do this should help you fix it. 

The poster stated HE put the 20wt in, not the tuner. Why does no one read the manual???  But yes, the revalve does seem to have missed the mark. Revalves are a b$%#@ far too often.

• Like 1

Thicker oil will make the reb. Slower.

Why not take it back to the tuner?

Few have the 4cs dialed in.

• Like 1

Major Bummer...the tuner (Hitchcock Industries in Denver) told me to put 20wt in them.  I told him originally I wanted to jump off 10ft cliffs and not get utterly slammed.  After his first work I couldn't jump off a 3ft rock.  After his second work 5ft was the max.  20 wt bumped me up to the 10ft mark just barely.  I will read the manual and see what it says about the oil.  I think I will go to another tuner and try billing the guy.

Wow

Do you have any video of you jumping off cliff?

Edited by E-TECH
  • Like 1

20wt oil? Nobody runs 20wt oil.... That's just stupid....

Would love to see these cliff videos, 10ft is a looooooong way down on a dirtbike! Add the fact that you have a 501, should leave a small crater at the bottom everytime....

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

You should run 5wt or less. As the oil heats up in your forks with thicker wt oil, it loses viscosity and changes your dampening and rebound settings. Hence the use if lighter weight oil, it sheds he'd quick and loses less viscosity.

• Like 1

Adding oil will work similarly to putting in stiffer springs.  With more oil there's less air, so it doesn't compress as easily.

That being said, you shouldn't be using stiffer springs for jumping off of bigger cliffs.  The springs should be the right stiffness to hold your weight (and the weight of the bike) in at the right point in the stroke (usually about 1/4 of the way compressed) when you are stationary.

The extra resistance when jumping off cliffs should come from your compression valving.  This comes in the form of a stiffer stack of shims that resists the flow of oil through the suspension.

By going to thicker oil, you will be slowing rebound as well as compression.  You don't need more rebound to jump off cliffs.  You just want more compression.

So, the right way to solve your problem is to have your suspension guy stiffen up the compression stack some more.

Edited by Squidless
  • Like 1

A good suspension tuner will always start with installing the proper springs before messing with valving, shim stacks or oil height. I would find someone else to fix you suspension.

• Like 1