Sign in to follow this  

Where did the oil go in my 530?

I have a 2010 530 6 day.  Rode a couple weekends ago, oil was about 3/4 in the window before the ride and after the ride.  Warmed the bike up today to change the tranny oil, and now the oil is down to 1/4 in the window.  If it matters bike was a little cold blooded to start; guessing still some old gas from winter still.

So...where did it go?  And should I put more oil in, or know that it's good?

Pretty common with that motor. Oil pools up in the motor and gives a bad reading at the glass. I can change the oil in my 450 and fill it just right. Start the bike and let it run for a few and it will read low at the glass. Start it another day and shut it off and it will read correct.

My XR 400 did the same thing...would just change oil, know for a fact that the right amount was in there, and nothing would read on the dipstick.

Drives me crazy.

Edited by bobback

I measure what comes out and refill with the same amount. I think when cold, as long as you can see it in the glass it's good. My RFS takes just about 1 qt. When I change the filters, just slightly more.

My XR 400 I do the same way, measure what comes out, refill that amount. XR will drive you nuts!!