Sign in to follow this  

XC vs SX

I'm about to buy a new bike.

I currently ride a 2011 YZ450F.  I haven't been on the track in over 2 years.  So I'm looking for something more fitting for the riding I do now which is typically fast trail riding with lots of whoops and some technical single track scattered with rocks.  Jumping is always fun.  And I'd like to be able to hit big jumps in the dunes still.

I'm looking at the 2014 XC 450 F.  Does this bike differ from the SX in any way other than the suspension and gas tank?

I get kind of annoyed riding my race bike in the mountains.  I don't want to buy the XC to find out it's just another track bike with a big gas tank and softer suspension.

In short, how does the ride quality differ between the 450 XC and the 450 SX ?

Do I need to be looking at an XC-W for my type of riding?

Thanks

PS, 2011 yz450F for sale in southern CO

The XCF is pretty much a SXF with a large gas tank, softer suspension and 18in wheel. Supposedly it's slightly mellower but I never noticed.... As for bike jumps, it's doable on the XCW but unfortunately your variance in riding doesn't allow for a good setup. You have to compromise somewhere suspension wise...

Buy a XCW if you want a good bike more oriented for the trails. Keep the 350 option on the table too... They are quite amazing bikes...

Edited by Monk

I came off a 09 YZ 450F and ride both track and tight fast trail/woods so I was asking the same question. I now ride a 13 450 SXF and love it!! Best bike I have ever had. I revalued the forks close to the XC valving and put a Gold Valve in the shock. Suspension is amazing off-road. I also am running a Rekluse core Exp 3.0. The bike works amazing!!! But the 350 is a awesome bike too. Don't under estimate the 350 it is a sick bike that has great power and don't rip your arms off like the 450 will after riding all day.

I think i should have titled this thread: XC-W vs XC.

Is the XC going to be better in the mountains than my 2011 YZ450F.

PS, Not too sure about the 350, I will be riding at elevations up to 12,000 ft so I need as much power as I can get.

And should the 300 smoker be thrown into this decision making process?  I weigh about 195 lbs.  Also, I will travel to the oregon coast occasionally meaning elevation shift from sea level up to 12,000 ft.  Most common range will be 5000 to 8000 ft.  I guess that means I'm stuck with an EFI model.  Only the 4 strokes have fuel injection correct?

Any additional decision making facts you can give me would be appreciated.

Edited by WFOWA

I think i should have titled this thread: XC-W vs XC.

Is the XC going to be better in the mountains than my 2011 YZ450F.

PS, Not too sure about the 350, I will be riding at elevations up to 12,000 ft so I need as much power as I can get.

And should the 300 smoker be thrown into this decision making process? I weigh about 195 lbs. Also, I will travel to the oregon coast occasionally meaning elevation shift from sea level up to 12,000 ft. Most common range will be 5000 to 8000 ft. I guess that means I'm stuck with an EFI model. Only the 4 strokes have fuel injection correct?

Any additional decision making facts you can give me would be appreciated.

300 is also a great bike but will suffer due to the major elevation changes unless you jet. The FI 4ts compensate for slight elevation changes but not what people think. They run open-loop systems which doesn't have an airflow sensor....

All that being said, your not giving up HP on the 350, you are giving up a bit of torque but the rideablity of the bike more then makes up for it....

And the simple answer is NO when it comes to a 450xc being more rideable then your YZ450F. The 450xcw is quite a bit different then the 2 and would be better suited. They come with a 6spd, lights, etc etc. All in all of your going for power, look at a 500xcw. I spend a lot of time on my 500exc and the bike is pretty dam fantastic at high elevation. One area you will have to comprimise it the suspension. The XCWs are quite a bit softer then the XCs and at the very least you will need springs for your weight...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

So what you're telling me is I should really be getting an XC-W with an XC suspension  :)

If the 300 2 stroke option is on the table, maybe look at the Husqvarna TE300? That bike seems to be the better combination of what KTM offers feature wise.