Sign in to follow this  

Rm 125 Trade Decision

Hi everyone, I currently have a 2012 SSR 125 (chinese but decent qaulity) and have found someone with a 1991 RM 125 that says he would like to trade for a pit bike. He said it's for his six year old son to learn to ride on. He says the bike is in good condition and goes through the gears well etc. Do you think this would be a good trade? It seems a bit old for me but IDK. Also, I have never ridden a stroke before so that is another important factor. Sorry to bother you guys with another thing, but how is the maintinance on the 2 strokes. I heard they are very easy to work on. I will use it mainly for just riding around and the occasional trail. Thanks in advance!  P.S. I am almost 14 years old, 5'11, 120lbs. Let me know what you think.

I say no for one simple reason.  If something breaks on it, it'll be damn hard to find parts for a 23 year old bike.  I would never buy (or trade) for anything older than 10 years just so if some obscure, special part, that was only made for that specific year bike broke, I could pick one up up from no less than 3 different sources.  That is hard enough with the '02 I just rebuilt.  Couldn't imagine a '91.  Sell your bike outright and look for a decent shape JAPANESE 85cc 2 stroke.  That would be the perfect bike for you to progress on.  Or, if you're just riding trails and stuff for fun look at all the honda CRFs like, 80 100 150.  or maybe a ttr125 or a drz125 or klx140.  I've owned all of the bikes mentioned and all are very easy for maintenance and are a blast to ride.  And I'm 6'5" 240lbs and 36 years old :jawdrop:

would trade in a heartbeat. The Chinese pit bike will not hold its value and I would bet that it is already harder to find parts for it than the RM. I have owned a 91 Rm125. It is a good dirtbike. Parts are not hard to find at all. Being a high performance race bike it will need to be maintained. Properly maintained the old RM will still outlast the Chinese bike. Look at it this way. Do you think.your Chinese bike will be around in 20 years like the RM?

At 5'11 you are way to tall for an 85 or even a 100 for that matter. I personally believe everyone should get to learn and have fun on a 125 2 stroke.

Ok so the RM is really far but I found a cr250r for 1300 and its closer. What should I do? Thanks for the input!

Edited by brandon125

I dont know the year and I dought he would trade. It might be late 90s or early 2000s

Edited by brandon125

Well if you are just looking to buy a bike what is your budget?

If your budget is 1300 you can get a pretty nice used bike for that amount. Just have to look hard and be patient.

Thanks for your help. btw are referring to 2 strokes when you say 1300?

Edited by brandon125

have a quick look at how hard/easy parts are for this year model. the fundamentals should be easy to source I would have thought. if its viable and you can get the parts easy enough then go for it. a 125 mx bike at your age is something I could only dream of. a Chinese pit bike will not hold its value and wont be half as exciting as a 2 stroke mx bike. couple of things, use the best synthetic 2 stroke oil you can. get the mixture right (32-1 or 40-1 is typical) and use super unleaded.i don't know what your octane ratings are over there but here we have 95 (typical petrol for a family car) and super unleaded which is usually 97 or 99 that we run in turbo cars ect. also use the correct spark plug and make sure the jeting is correct. standard jetting is a good base setting, the info will be online. and one final thing, warm it up properly. be patient with it and even after a good 5 min warm up, ride it with out giving it a handful for 5-10 minutes. its important for the engine to get up to temp slowly, esp on a 2 stroke.

My dad doesn't want to drive to the RM because it is a bit far. I found a 97 CR125 for $1400 and it is bit closer. Do you think this is a good choice? I am not planning on racing. I just ride around the streets of my neighborhood and go to occasional trials. I heard some people didn't like the fact that the CR is only a five speed. Is this true? It is still one more gear than I have now lol. Thanks again for your help!

Edited by brandon125

I'd go with the 250. If it's in good condition your getting more for the money and you have room to grow with the bike. The 125 frame seems a little small for the height and weight you gave. Example. .. we are the same height and I weighed 130 when I cam out of high school, I rode a 200 cc 2 stroke then. A good fit for me. I have a DRZ 125 for my son and it is too short a frame for my height. My $.02

The drz is a smaller framed bike. The RM,CR,YZ,KX 125s are full sized dirt bikes very little size difference other than the engine than the 250 or even 450. The 97 CR is a good bike. For that price I would expect it to be in very good condition. If it is not then walk away. There are good bikes in that price range.

have a quick look at how hard/easy parts are for this year model. the fundamentals should be easy to source I would have thought. if its viable and you can get the parts easy enough then go for it. a 125 mx bike at your age is something I could only dream of. a Chinese pit bike will not hold its value and wont be half as exciting as a 2 stroke mx bike. couple of things, use the best synthetic 2 stroke oil you can. get the mixture right (32-1 or 40-1 is typical) and use super unleaded.i don't know what your octane ratings are over there but here we have 95 (typical petrol for a family car) and super unleaded which is usually 97 or 99 that we run in turbo cars ect. also use the correct spark plug and make sure the jeting is correct. standard jetting is a good base setting, the info will be online. and one final thing, warm it up properly. be patient with it and even after a good 5 min warm up, ride it with out giving it a handful for 5-10 minutes. its important for the engine to get up to temp slowly, esp on a 2 stroke.

That is all very good advice. I wouldn't run a 125 any higher ratio than 40 to 1 with 32 to 1 being optimal. Super unleaded here in the states is 91 octane in Ca and I have seen 93 in other states. 91 is fine to run. I believe our 91 is equivalent to your higher octane fuel. And the octane rating is calculated differently. As far as 2 stroke oils, I prefer the castor based oils but any high quality race oil will work. I doubt I ride hard enough on my 250 2 stroke to really notice the difference between the castor and non castor based oils. I do like the smell and I am creature of habit so I stick with what has worked with me over the years.

I hear guys saying things about finding parts, and I don't have a ton of experience in this realm, but I bought a 1990 rm 250 and have had no problems finding any of the parts I was looking for so far. Fork seals, ignition coils, piston kits, etc. I will say this though. The parts for an old bike cost as much as for a new bike. Unless you are willing to pay for replacement parts, you may consider getting a newer bike that has less chance of needing a rebuild soon. Good maintenance goes a long way as well, and you may not have a ton of issues with the '91 rm. Mine runs great. I haven't installed any of the new parts yet, and it runs really well. You may get lucky, and maybe not. I hate to give too much advice because of my limited bike experience, but this is my two cents.