Inside a 2014 350 EXC-F muffler

Just thought some of you might want to see what is inside. Older EXC used to have a smaller diameter piece of pipe inside to lower the sound. There is no such thing in the 2014 model. The little screen at the end of the muffler that you can see from outside (not the spark arrester) is removable. In the 12-13 there is a ring that is screwed and comes off easily, but is welded on the 2014. You can drill a hole in the screen and pry it out. The ring stays there and it makes a nice job.

1398907762336.jpg

1398907747690.jpg

1398907730502.jpg

1398907795135.jpg

1398907816515.jpg

Edited by ti-ben
  • Like 1

What seems like the bottom of the muffler is in fact the middle, there seems to be more packing in the first half.

Here's some pictures of the screen removed.

📎1398908177888.jpg

📎1398908186735.jpg

📎1398908197685.jpg

Good info thanks. I have 2014 ktm 500exc and plan on (if the bike ever seems to lack power) opening up the muffler but the 500 has 2 screens one right next to the other. Was there only one on the 350 ?

Good info thanks. I have 2014 ktm 500exc and plan on (if the bike ever seems to lack power) opening up the muffler but the 500 has 2 screens one right next to the other. Was there only one on the 350 ?

Yes it's the only one.  I thought that they both had the same muffler?

I will be very surprised if you think it lacks power.  Run up to 6th gear full throttle and you'll be convinced that it's got plenty.  I let off at 85mph and it was still pulling hard.  :D

I will be very surprised if you think it lacks power.  Run up to 6th gear full throttle and you'll be convinced that it's got plenty.  I let off at 85mph and it was still pulling hard.  :D

Yeah lol... Right know its not even broke in and seems to have insane power :jawdrop:

p/s I did buy your TPS tool and plan on playing around with that on mine and my friends 2013 350 exc. ?

Edited by mojave1
  • Like 1

Unplug the air valve under the throttle body, that would be the last piece to disable. I do a lot of really slow riding on mine and I noticed a pretty bad stumble when you barely cracked the throttle with the stock setup. After desmogging and adjusting the TPS this was completely resolved. if yours has no stumble then you might not need it. :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've gone from a Yz250F to 2014 KTM 350 EXC-F   and I love it so far, but I do have a muffler question;  I've noticed that the outside of the muffler is wicked hot (cant even touch it) compared to my Yz and my friends WR. I can actually leave my hand on the WR and YZ after riding.

Is this normal for this bike or is it a KTM thing?

I've gone from a Yz250F to 2014 KTM 350 EXC-F   and I love it so far, but I do have a muffler question;  I've noticed that the outside of the muffler is wicked hot (cant even touch it) compared to my Yz and my friends WR. I can actually leave my hand on the WR and YZ after riding.

Is this normal for this bike or is it a KTM thing?

The end cap on my 2014 500 exc gets super hot and stays hot for a while also.