Sign in to follow this  

2014 CRF450 Fork and Shock Valving

Hey Guys, Has anyone taken apart their 2014's forks or shock and documented the valving stacks? I've rode my bike 3 times and the Midvalve needs to be fixed ASAP. Also if anyone has played with their midvalve found a good balance between stiff enough to solve excessive diving during braking, while still flowing enough oil to be plush and not have cavitation on rebound, I'd be very interested in what you have done. I appreciate any information that anyone can scrape up.  

also it seems to me that shock actually has too much high speed damping? i'm 180 on a stock spring 110 mm sag C 11 out R 14 out HSC 1 3/4 out (which for me seems insanely under damped for a stock Honda KYB shock) pehaps its just so unbalanced due to the fork issues that it seems ok? Anyway I'm a Northeast guy ride Open A and +25A  Thanks Guys!

I'm confused you say it feels like it has too much high speed then say it's insanely under damped ?

I'm confused you say it feels like it has too much high speed then say it's insanely under damped ?

mog,  Sry for the confusion, by under damped i meant the HSC setting at 1 3/4 out seems like a faster setting. I'm usually adding High speed to the stack and running the HSC adjuster around .5 to 1 turn out. Its not a complaint on my end just was wondering if anyone else had the same opinion/experience. 

Have you done anything to the forks? I'm running my clickers at 12 out both comp and reb. and 33psi air.

fork and shock is very soft on the CRF 450/14.

the hi speed adjuster is a joke on this bike.

no effeckt.

and the adjustervalving is very soft.

you need to revalve both, main comp and adjuster valving..

otherwise you have bad cavitation..

Thanks for the info. I need to fix the forks before I start messing with the shock. These forks are killing me. I'd really like to get my hands on stock valving specs so I can order shims before treating everything apart and waiting for shims to arrive.

I'd agree after fixing forks the shock may feel softer but I think the fact I'm always blowing through the fork stroke is masking any valving issues with shock. Again really appreciate the info guys. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I need to fix the forks before I start messing with the shock. These forks are killing me. I'd really like to get my hands on stock valving specs so I can order shims before treating everything apart and waiting for shims to arrive.

I'd agree after fixing forks the shock may feel softer but I think the fact I'm always blowing through the fork stroke is masking any valving issues with shock. Again really appreciate the info guys. Thanks.

try closing the float a bit if i remeber correctly on the 14 is 0.7 from the factory, try o.5.....the 14 is better than the 13! maybe you get away with just the float !

you can try more air in the fork 35psi or 36psi, some guys you size use the same and works for them!

Many people use SKF seals on this bike to get away from the sticktion due to high pressure!...

try closing the float a bit if i remeber correctly on the 14 is 0.7 from the factory, try o.5.....the 14 is better than the 13! maybe you get away with just the float !

you can try more air in the fork 35psi or 36psi, some guys you size use the same and works for them!

Many people use SKF seals on this bike to get away from the sticktion due to high pressure!...

I'm thinking of adding one more 27x.1 and a 26x.1 this should decrease the float by .2 and stiffen up the midvalve. 

Revised stack is as follows

5 27x.1

1 26x.1

1 24x.1

1 20x.1

1 13x.1 -> clamp shim.

do you feel this will be too stiff? i don't want to cavitate on rebound. 

I'm thinking of adding one more 27x.1 and a 26x.1 this should decrease the float by .2 and stiffen up the midvalve. 

Revised stack is as follows

5 27x.1

1 26x.1

1 24x.1

1 20x.1

1 13x.1 -> clamp shim.

do you feel this will be too stiff? i don't want to cavitate on rebound. 

what terrain do  you ride? it maybe too stiff closing float and adding face shims! (but its just a guess)

i would do one change at a time!

but if you anxious or out off time....for hard pack i got this recommendation below, but did have time to test it yet!

27.11x2

Let us know how it feels if you try it!!