Sign in to follow this  

500 xc-w dented exhaust pipe

So I dented my exhaust pipe pretty good today.

Is this by any chance this is fixable?  Would it hurt the bike to ride it like this?

20140430_195744_LLS.jpg20140430_195801_LLS.jpg

I only found the exc pipe in the oem catalog, Do the xc-w differ from exc exhaust pipes?

Is there an aftermarket pipe that may be better than stock?since I'll probably have to replace it

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh yeah, it happened after a failed hill climb the bike rolled backwards and on its side, perfectly on a rock

Edited by bincs

Man the stickers aren't even worn of the motor yet!  At least the first scratch is out of the way and now you can ride it without reservation. :)   I doubt it will hurt it to ride that way, but you might be down on power a bit.  I'm sure there's a professional shop that can do it.  If you want to do it yourself, check youtube for HowTo videos, there must be one.  In a worst case, drill a small hole in the back side then use a rod (maybe buy a cheap screw driver and cut it off) and hammer to gently push the dent out from the back side, then get a local welding shop to close up the little hole for you.  Clamp a fancy carbon fiber guard over it and it will look new again. ;) 

On 2 stroke pipes I've seen filling the pipe with water and freezing it to push the dents out.  I've also seen capping the ends, pressurizing it with an air compressor while heating it with a torch to pop the dent out.  I don't know if these methods would work with a 4 stroke header or not since it's much smaller in diameter.

Looks familiar!  I did my 450 XCW pipe the same way, and I've been riding it for months since then without fixing it.  I haven't noticed any lack of power, in the trails or on the MX track.

The XCW and EXC pipes are different part numbers.  They use the same part number for several years for the same model, 12, 13, & 14, but not for different models. 

I'd be interested to hear how you fix it, if you do.  Good luck!

I don't know if the header is stainless steel or titanium. - I'm guessing stainless steel?

Either way, it can be patched.

A welding and fabrication shop would have to cut a patch made from the same material as the header, slightly larger than the dent , then cut the dented section out, then TIG weld the patch in place.

I would guess a welding shop would charge $100 (at least).

How much is a replacement header?

You might try a performance muffler shop, or a shop that fixes gas tanks.

Fill it with water and stick in the freezer.  You may have to do it a few times but it will take most of the dents out.  It won't look new but it will be better.

I may try the freeze method or find a shop willing the do the air pressure plus heat method. I'm not to keen on drilling a hole in it.  The new pipe costs $310 bucks shipped. I was hoping to find one on cheaper on ebay. no luck yet. considering I'm looking at spending another $350-700 in the near future to get it lowered.It would be great to not to have to drop $300 on non-upgrades.

At MotoSport and Rocky Mtn the part #'s are all the same for an EXC and XCW head pipe of the same years. A 450xcw is also the same part as a 500.

I'm picking up a full system taken off a 13 500xcw, if you are interested in the head pipe maybe we can work something out.

So going to freeze the pipe. There was one hitch.20140503_115758.jpg

The pipe comes from the factory pre dented on one side. so that it fits next to the rear shock.

20140503_120236.jpg

here was my solution. wet towels on a sting. I pushed one in past the factory dent, and in as far as I could on the other end. This is good since now I dont have to worry about the messing up the fitment on the head or silencer.20140503_120620.jpg

Here is the pipe filled with water and plugged with the towels.20140503_121159.jpg

I added a wet towel around the dented part so it is the last spot to freeze concentrating the any pressure there.

I popped it in the freezer.. Wish me luck.

Edited by bincs

I would be careful with the plugs. Just put enough water in it to cover the dent and let nature take it's course. If the plugs freeze too quickly and don't allow for expansion, you could end up with a split header. Never fill a two stroke pipe w/ water and freeze, it will split as well.

First freeze results. I can't tell much of a difference. I defosted it,refilled it, and put it back in the freezer. I'll give it a couple more tries,since a body shop will probably not be open till monday.20140503_223114_LLS.jpg

Edited by bincs

Are you still using the plugs and wrapping the pipe? Try it w/ just water in the pipe. The rag plugs could be preventing the freeze process from plugging the pipe effectively. I have used this process before with acceptable results.

Stainless is tough stuff, but not as tough as rocks, obviously.  And while water can move a lot, it might take a several times to get the stainless to move.  You also have a really nice crease at the top.  That's going to be hard to get to move, since that area is really strong now, unfortunately, and it won't to unbend easily.

Oh, and that does suck on a brand new bike, but you bought it to ride, right, so stuff happens...

CADman_KS

Stainless is tough stuff, but not as tough as rocks, obviously.  And while water can move a lot, it might take a several times to get the stainless to move.  You also have a really nice crease at the top.  That's going to be hard to get to move, since that area is really strong now, unfortunately, and it won't to unbend easily.

Oh, and that does suck on a brand new bike, but you bought it to ride, right, so stuff happens...

CADman_KS

Yeah,this is the first of probably many battle scars.

Yeah,this is the first of probably many battle scars.

I don't think that anyone is on the ground as much as I am.   ;)

CADman_KS