Sign in to follow this  

riding advice

so i am just getting into dirt biking. i have been riding atvs since i was 5. i feel that i am one off the best sport ATV riders of my age group (16). i have now realized that i want a dirt bike because you can do so much more with them. so i want to get some advice about dirt bikes. i have riden a 150 a couple years ago and for my first time i felt i did good. now i want a 250 because the 150 my friend has is just to small. i am only 5'10 and 125lbs but i will probally be over 6 ft when i am done growing and i will fill out a little more so i want a bike that will stay with me so i dont have to buy multiple bikes. anyway is there any advice you can give me for learning to ride a dirt bike on the sand dunes. eventually i want to be able to scream down the dunes and take jumps left and right (like i can on my atv) but i know that will be in the future. i also want to impress my older brother when he gets back ini 1 1/2 years because he is always bragging about how much better he is than me (but he isnt) i know my exceptions are high but i will try and hope fully succeed with some of you advice.  

so i am just getting into dirt biking. i have been riding atvs since i was 5. i feel that i am one off the best sport ATV riders of my age group (16). i have now realized that i want a dirt bike because you can do so much more with them. so i want to get some advice about dirt bikes. i have riden a 150 a couple years ago and for my first time i felt i did good. now i want a 250 because the 150 my friend has is just to small. i am only 5'10 and 125lbs but i will probally be over 6 ft when i am done growing and i will fill out a little more so i want a bike that will stay with me so i dont have to buy multiple bikes. anyway is there any advice you can give me for learning to ride a dirt bike on the sand dunes. eventually i want to be able to scream down the dunes and take jumps left and right (like i can on my atv) but i know that will be in the future. i also want to impress my older brother when he gets back ini 1 1/2 years because he is always bragging about how much better he is than me (but he isnt) i know my exceptions are high but i will try and hope fully succeed with some of you advice.  

A150 4t to a 250 2t is a big jump especially if you're just starting riding . My sons 16 and been riding since he was 6 started on an 80 and now on a CR125 . He's 6ft. about 100 lbs.  :lol:  his 125 is a perfect fit . I let him ride my 250 occasionally and he's pretty good on it but i can tell he has his hands full when it's on the pipe. You should really consider a 125 2t . just my two cents.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Get a 125 or KTM 150.

125 is your best bet for now get good on that then jump up to a mans bike.

When riding in sand faster you go the easy it is to ride when you slow down you will sink in to the sand and it's harder to ride your bike. Quads you can go slow in the sand because you have 4 wheels on the ground.

If you have plenty of riding experience on quads, you know how to handle a machine.  I was 16, had TONS of quad experience on sand dunes, bought myself a KDX 200.  It was pig slow looking back.  Jumped from that to a CR 500. 

HEY guys--all you antagonists who think that the jump from a 125 to a 250 is big??  I jumped from a KDX 200 to a CR 500!!!!!!  And it wasn't too big of a jump bc I had years of experience, much like this kid.  So if I were you riding dunes, I would buy a 250.  You'll tear up a 125 motor in the sand.  Even on a mototrack, I would say get a 250 if you are comfortable.  125s are a money pit.