Rm 250 powerband, what year?

Try to find one with the purple powerband. That's what I have on my 2 stroke thing freaking rips. On a serious note, you can change where a powerband hits. Weather it be bottom, mid, or top. What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Motocross or trail riding or a combination of the 2? I have seen several rms on the trails and those things rip, I have also seen some at my local track and those rip also. So the question is what do you plan to use your bike for?

• Like 2

I've decided to go with a 2 stroke. Now I'm trying to find out what year of rm's have the best powerband.

You will never get a straight answer on here when you ask such a question. I will say this my father's 01RM250 hits hard! That thing pulls and pulls like no tomorrow. Scary fast compared to my 98 YZ..

I know everyone likes to joke. But it's new comers in the sport that's what keeps it going. It's our place to educate these people. Remember we didn't start knowing it all someone taught us. And the guy does have a point. Some bikes have better set ups in different years. And some models of ktm's the bolt comes off and drops into the crank. But like I said everyone wants a laugh but sometimes some people want to learn

Edited by Jdrost72

I know everyone likes to joke. But it's new comers in the sport that's what keeps it going. It's our place to educate these people. Remember we didn't start knowing it all someone taught us. And the guy does have a point. Some bikes have better set ups in different years. And some models of ktm's the bolt comes off and drops into the crank. But like I said everyone wants a laugh but sometimes some people want to learn

You're right.

I ain't a new comer lol. I've been riding for 8 years and I'm 15. But for everyone else, I'm planing on racing. Straight racing. Possible trail later but not anytime soon.

people often wearing baseball caps, tracksuit bottoms and have one hand down there pants (prison inmate style in the uk) frequently coin the phrase ''powerband in every gear'' on a serious note, they reckon the 2005 rm250 was the pinnacle but the 06 had revised porting to soften the blow as the 05 really is supposed to be a bit of a beast. I have an 01 that I initially thought was an 05  but im yet to ride it in anger 

• Like 1

people often wearing baseball caps, tracksuit bottoms and have one hand down there pants (prison inmate style in the uk) frequently coin the phrase ''powerband in every gear'' on a serious note, they reckon the 2005 rm250 was the pinnacle but the 06 had revised porting to soften the blow as the 05 really is supposed to be a bit of a beast. I have an 01 that I initially thought was an 05 but im yet to ride it in anger

how do you not ride a 2 stroke with anger? Haha
  • Like 1

I've decided to go with a 2 stroke. Now I'm trying to find out what year of rm's have the best powerband.

See you went wrong using the word powerband. loosely.  If you knew what it meant you wouldn't have used it that way. :D

In all seriousness... if you are asking for the BEST power delivery we would need to know what you are looking for and what you mean by BEST, ignoring the powerband part as it has been beat enough.

Do you want a light switch (on off) motor?  My buddy said his '03 RM250 was pretty brutal like that.  I like my '04 but my setup.  But I bought it used and don't know what it runs like stock.

A sewing machine?  Not sure of many that would fit this description.

Somewhere in-between?  Others may have to chime in. 

yea by used in anger I should of stated using it as intended. so far I haven't got chance to get out on it and ride the thing, just up n down the track while I sussed the powervalve setting. hopefully get out on it proper next weekend. is that a fairly accurate statement to say the 05 onwards are were the rm really became on a par with just about anything overall as a 250 2 stroke?

The '04, '05 & '06 RM250 had the most "2 stroke like" power and was the highest rated 250 for those years (for what it's worth). 

By then the KX was long in the tooth (last real update was in '98), the CR250's last good year was '02 thanks to the CRF450, but the YZ250 was still getting updates.  Now the last decent update for the YZ250 was '07 (some say '06), but the KTM250SX development never stopped.  The problem with the KTM is that it's mostly developed by Europeans for Europeans, that's why magazines like MXA in a tongue in cheek way say that the KTM250 is better (it's more developed ~i.e. more powerful) but the YZ just "feels" like an old friend (good suspension & ergo's) and with a few mods they like it better than the KTM.  In all honesty, if KTM copied the RM chassis and used their engine (sorry guys ~ stock it's way more powerful now) they'd have a world beater.

As for the OP, in my '08 RM250 the "white" powerband is the only one to use, and that's straight from Mike Gosslar (RC's mechanic).

• Like 1

My friend, who has been riding motocross since he was 10, was convinced that only two strokes had powerbands. I explained to him that a powerband is a curve representing the internal combustion engine's power output and useable power and that indeed his four stroke kx450f had a powerband as well as my rm250... lol. Anyway, I will say that the powerband on my 1990 rm is insane. As a matter of fact, it really handed me a piece of my own rear end the first time I was on it because I never expected the power to come on the way it did. I have heard that bikes in that date range have the snappiest throttle response and I can speak from experience to the craziness of the powerband on that bike.