Sign in to follow this  

Installing a seat cover?

I got a new seat cover for my bike and I know a pneumatic or electric staple gun would be ideal but would I be able to install the seat cover using just a regular, basic staple gun? I'd like to do it myself rather than have to pay someone to do it.

• Like 1

I got a new seat cover for my bike and I know a pneumatic or electric staple gun would be ideal but would I be able to install the seat cover using just a regular, basic staple gun? I'd like to do it myself rather than have to pay someone to do it.

Yep it works fine. Just make sure you hold the gun super tight against the cover. Lots of staples too.

• Like 1

I tried this several times it absolutely suks with a regular staple gun . Not saying it can't be done but go to the bank cause you're gonna need a lot of change to put in the swear jar . 

• Like 2

Depends on your budget, but like with most jobs sooooooo much better with the proper tool...  But yes, you can use a regular stapler, but in my experience many of the staples deflect and don't penetrate.....takes forever and WAY more effort than it needs to be.

Here's mine....no comparison to using a regular stapler:

P4120223_zpsb749981a.jpg

Edited by Fattonz

I have done many with the standard stapler.....be sure to get short, sharp / angle cut staples and yes, many don't work out but most will. I also just put the new seat cover right over the old one have a double thick one when done....works great.

Joe

• Like 2

Guys--I climbed our tree in the back yard to cut down branches that were dead, and thought to myself we're spoiled!!  There were a few branches that were so thick it woulda taken me 20 mins with the hand saw to cut them down.  All I kept thinking about was how nice it would be to have a chain saw.  But I don't wanna spend $300 on a chain saw to use it once a year.

But the pneumatic staple gun is $17 at Harbor Freight.  Buy one.

• Like 2

Guys--I climbed our tree in the back yard to cut down branches that were dead, and thought to myself we're spoiled!!  There were a few branches that were so thick it woulda taken me 20 mins with the hand saw to cut them down.  All I kept thinking about was how nice it would be to have a chain saw.  But I don't wanna spend $300 on a chain saw to use it once a year.

But the pneumatic staple gun is $17 at Harbor Freight.  Buy one.

Provided the OP already owns a compressor ;)

But yes, wholeheartedly agree...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

I did mine with a regular staple gun. It was time consuming and took a bit of work, and a lot of staples. but it came out fine. Wish i would of had an air/electric one though...

I did mine with a regular staple gun. It was time consuming and took a bit of work, and a lot of staples. but it came out fine. Wish i would of had an air/electric one though...

I've done it with a hand stapler, takes forever!  Wrists were hurting by the end because you have to put so much weight on the stapler to penetrate the seat body. 

• Like 1

I've done it with a hand stapler, takes forever! Wrists were hurting by the end because you have to put so much weight on the stapler to penetrate the seat body.

Exactly lol never again

Staple gun gave me severe arm pump!!....... I ran to Home Depot and bought a heavy duty electric staple gun for $25 "no more arm pump

Edited by RMZ SREDTYME

We tried doing it ourselves and it wasn't working well. Took the cover to an auto upholstery place and they did a great job for $35. Not worth screwing with for that price.

That's all I use, simple U-Line manual staple.  Make sure your staples are no more than 1/8 inch, otherwise the staple will go through the seat cover.  Center it perfectly making sure there's enough material all around the fiberglass/plastic seat for the cover to fold over.  I always lay out my seat cover over the seat for a couple of days to let the cover mold into place before stapling it down.  You don't need anything fancy to do this and it's actually pretty easy to do.  I've done quite a bit of them in my time and never screwed one up. :devil:

That's all I use, simple U-Line manual staple. Make sure your staples are no more than 1/8 inch, otherwise the staple will go through the seat cover. Center it perfectly making sure there's enough material all around the fiberglass/plastic seat for the cover to fold over. I always lay out my seat cover over the seat for a couple of days to let the cover mold into place before stapling it down. You don't need anything fancy to do this and it's actually pretty easy to do. I've done quite a bit of them in my time and never screwed one up. :devil:

whats your address  I'll send you one of mine haha

Edited by Beau 88
  • Like 1