Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Exhaust Worth It?

I have a 2013 WR250F and it is all uncorked, except the grey wire. I am wondering if I should get a full exhaust system for it. I found a powerbomb and powercore 4 combo for $419.00 and was wondering if it would be worth it or a waste of money? Also, I know what the grey wire does, but does anyone actually notice a difference with it disconnected? What do you guys think? I know I won't be getting 450-like power with the exhaust, I would just like to move towards yz250f-like power. The bike has plenty of power for me, but I'm guessing the exhaust will help with low end grunt as well as top end. Thanks. 

... Of course you'll need to jet it as well. Don't waste your time with anything but jd jetting kit. Can't say for sure if the gray wire alone does much, because I did all the mods and upgrades at the same time, but what resulted was, an extremely responsive bike. Full spectrum. Like a yz, but more manageable in trails (mostly due to the heavy flywheel and transmission gearing) I've ridden the yz in the same trails, and prefer the wr hands down. It keeps up with the 450's and climbs the hills effortlessly

Definitely plan on re-jetting, sounds good. What gearing do you run on yours? I have the stock 13/50 and I like it, but wonder if I should go up a tooth or two in the rear?

I know I have a yzf and not the wr, but I'm glad I put a pipe on mine. The difference wont be crazy noticeable, but you can deff tell a difference. It needs re-jetted but It runs just fine the way it is now.

Were it my money, I would buy the pipe and jet it Then I would consider changing the gearing only if I'm at high altitude or well over 200+ pounds.

I have a 2013 WR250F and it is all uncorked, except the grey wire. I am wondering if I should get a full exhaust system for it. I found a powerbomb and powercore 4 combo for $419.00 and was wondering if it would be worth it or a waste of money? Also, I know what the grey wire does, but does anyone actually notice a difference with it disconnected? What do you guys think? I know I won't be getting 450-like power with the exhaust, I would just like to move towards yz250f-like power. The bike has plenty of power for me, but I'm guessing the exhaust will help with low end grunt as well as top end. Thanks.

if your not on the track and just trail riding for fun save the 419$ for better things.

I have an 01 wr250f.  I changed to a DrD full exhaust.  I couldn't pass the sound test for racing so now I have the same exhaust as you (2010 WR exhaust).  The difference between the old exhaust and the DrD I found most noticeable at low RPM's and wide open throttle.  With the newer stock exhaust with sound insert out I really don't notice much difference in power, but the sound insert needs to come out and it will still pass a sound inspection. 

Please don't get a loud exhaust.  For the money Suspension or a yz  cam will make more of a difference.  $419 could buy some really good suspension work, make you noticeably faster and still have $$$ for gas or spare parts.  I've seen people get good suspension work done and the next day they are riding better, in more control, and faster.

Depends on the rider.  I would say for most people, its a waste of money.  You cant turn a YZ250F into a top end screamer with an exhaust, its going to be a mid range motor regardless of the exhaust you put on it.  You can move the powerband a little bit, sacrifice some low end for more top end, but the motors characteristics wont change much without head porting, and different camshafts.  Even sprocket changes are likely to yield better results.  If your a woods rider, then perhaps going a couple teeth larger on the rear sprocket will give you the low end punch your looking for .  Properly setup suspension is the best bang for the dollar.  If your buying an exhaust when your suspension is sprung incorrectly and valved poorly, then you doing yourself a disservice.  Suspension is king, and then after that I would say having fresh tires is the second best thing to spend money on.  I have spent countless dollars on mods that offer little to no benefit.  I understand its fun and exciting to buy various mods for your bike, but the majority of them just make it a little different, not better.    

• Like 2