Sign in to follow this  

Top End Gasket Blown Out

Hello TT, Im am the kid who rebuilt a 1992 xt350 from crates of parts my uncle gave me. Anyways, I got the bike all together and just finished tuning in everything. I took it around the block a few times and the top end gasket suddenly gave and started spewing oil all over my leg. What would have caused this? Could there be a larger issue at play? I was going to drain all the oil, as there is a chance I put too much in it, and I will also recheck the torque on all the head-cover bolts, but I was pretty bummed. Do you think the seal busting would have ruined anything else? Can you recommend checking anything for damage? Really hoping to get riding without worrying soon, its getting so nice out! Picture related. You can see the left side of the gasket is sticking out from its groove.

1398919092876.jpg

That's called the valve cover gasket .

Obvious ly , I'd say you didn't have the mating surfaces totally clean . They should start spotless , including the groove in the valve cover .

It might be that you didn't seat the cam end portion of the gasket properly . Sometimes it takes a litte patience and double checking is always a good practice .

At least you know there's good oil flow to the cams . ;)

Like mentioned above, double check gasket position BEFORE tightening the bolts and only torque the bolts down to spec . Over tightening just squishes the gasket out of it's proper position .

Also it looks like the airscoop for the sparkplug needs to be rotated to face the front of the bike to allow forced air to cool the spark plug .

Lotsa thanks to you guys for the advice! Wish I knew everything there was to know about stuff like this already but I guess I'm gonna have to make a couple more goof-ups before that happens!

When I was installing that gasket I was having a hard time getting it to seal just right so I threw some rtv black in just in case especially In The spot were yours popped out

Edited by zgmg54321

Double check your crankcase vent hose and make certain that it is not plugged.

Double check your crankcase vent hose and make certain that it is not plugged.

Good advice ^ .

Pull the hose off the case and check the nipple , too .