Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke new top end

I have a 1995 kx125 and it is blowing white smoke and some oil is dripping from the exhaust also there is not much compression in the kick I was wondering if it is time for a new top end please help?!

The oil could be dripping cause u have to much oil n the gas mix. It's going to smoke cause it's a 2 stroke. But excessive smoke could because it's getting by your crank seals. If it's been a while since u changed your top end u should. But it has nothing to do with the smoke.

Edited by Jdrost72

The oil could be dripping cause u have to much oil n the gas mix. It's going to smoke cause it's a 2 stroke. But excessive smoke could because it's getting by your crank seals. If it's been a while since u changed your top end u should. But it has nothing to do with the smoke.

Oil out the pipe actually has nothing to do with how much premix oil you put in. You could be running 20:1 and get no splooge. It's caused by rich jetting. When it runs rich, the excess amount of gas absorbs too much heat from the motor, and in turn not hot enough to evaporate the oil to burn it. Splooge and excess smoke could either be rich jetting, or bad right side crank seal. Low compression will definitely mean you need a new top end.

Oil out the pipe actually has nothing to do with how much premix oil you put in. You could be running 20:1 and get no splooge. It's caused by rich jetting. When it runs rich, the excess amount of gas absorbs too much heat from the motor, and in turn not hot enough to evaporate the oil to burn it. Splooge and excess smoke could either be rich jetting, or bad right side crank seal. Low compression will definitely mean you need a new top end.

I got the bike used so I'm not sure about a few things and it's my first bike should I worry about what happening

I got the bike used so I'm not sure about a few things and it's my first bike should I worry about what happening

Running rich and a bad crank seal isn't that big of a deal. Just means you'll foul plugs a lot and have to keep an eye on your trans oil level. A seal is only around $10 and they're really easy to put in. I would replace the piston ASAP so it doesn't shatter from overuse. You should always do a top end on a new to you 2 stroke just so you know it's good to go. Better safe than sorry.

When I bought my first used 2 stroke, I didn't know to put a fresh piston in it and ran it as-is. Lost comp. after around 20 hours. Took it apart to see the cylinder was useless. Choose when you want to spend your money. $100 for a top end kit now, or ~$550 for cylinder and top end kit later

Running rich and a bad crank seal isn't that big of a deal. Just means you'll foul plugs a lot and have to keep an eye on your trans oil level. A seal is only around $10 and they're really easy to put in. I would replace the piston ASAP so it doesn't shatter from overuse. You should always do a top end on a new to you 2 stroke just so you know it's good to go. Better safe than sorry.

When I bought my first used 2 stroke, I didn't know to put a fresh piston in it and ran it as-is. Lost comp. after around 20 hours. Took it apart to see the cylinder was useless. Choose when you want to spend your money. $100 for a top end kit now, or ~$550 for cylinder and top end kit later

Ok thank you for all the help

No problem at all. I'd also recommend finding the stock jetting settings for your bike then adjusting from there. You never know what the precious owner has done to it.

No problem at all. I'd also recommend finding the stock jetting settings for your bike then adjusting from there. You never know what the precious owner has done to it.

Is jetting hard could I do it myself?!

Oil out the pipe actually has nothing to do with how much premix oil you put in. You could be running 20:1 and get no splooge. It's caused by rich jetting. When it runs rich, the excess amount of gas absorbs too much heat from the motor, and in turn not hot enough to evaporate the oil to burn it. Splooge and excess smoke could either be rich jetting, or bad right side crank seal. Low compression will definitely mean you need a new top end.[/quote

So your telling me that if your bike calls for 32:1 and u put 5 oz of oil it's not going to come out the pipe

If run at high RPM's, no.  If used to follow a child around the yard, yes.

To the OP, read all the threads you can on here to learn more.