Sign in to follow this  

New Rider

I've always been interested in dirt bikes and I finally have the funds to afford one, but I don't know what to get.  I'm 21 years old,6.1, and 155 pounds.  I'm looking for something that will be a good learning bike, but also something I'll want to keep once I get the hang of it.  For the most part I'm going to be trail riding with buddies on the weekends.  I've done a little research and I'm interested in a KX250F or YZ250F.  Which would be most reliable, and would one of them be the right bike for me?

Edited by Matthew55

Since ur trail riding, id recomend a wr250F instead. but if your mind is really set, then you cant go wrong with either KXF or YZF, I've had better luck with Yamahas, but kawis havent been bad either.

I would recommend finding a bike that has been taken care of, with proof of maintenance receipts or atleast buy it from a knowledgeable owner. It's really hard finding a good bike to buy, since very few people want to let go of a "good-running bike".

Four strokes are expensive to keep up, you may wanna look into a 125 Two stroke, 05+ yz's are great.

I started on a YZF.. not the best idea if you are doing trails... I recently bought a WR, and it is WAY better for trail riding.  The YZF is great if you will be doing the sand dunes, or taking it to the track, or something like that, but if you are going to use it for trail riding, it gets pretty difficult when you have to climb a hill that is even slightly technical, when you have to keep the throttle pinned.