Sign in to follow this  

New Coil Spring, but no revalve, what would happen?

'07 525 with stock suspension. I ordered a new P30 spring for my PDS, but can't afford to get the body revalved at this time. What would be the side effects of just running it with the heavier spring and getting the internals done later?

'07 525 with stock suspension. I ordered a new P30 spring for my PDS, but can't afford to get the body revalved at this time. What would be the side effects of just running it with the heavier spring and getting the internals done later?

You'll have valving that won't match your spring rate and weight which may or may not affect the bikes ride and your fun factor. I did it on a 13 350xc and wasn't happy with the results but Im a bit portly as they say. I had a full revalve and spring rate change done for a 2009 450 EXC I picked up over the winter and like it in the woods and street so far. My suspension guy told me its easier to get away with on the Japanese 4 than a KTM.

Look at it this way, you'll be half way done with the investment when you can afford the revalve.

• Like 1

You don't need a revalve. I just put a P30 rear spring on my 07 exc450,  and it handles great.

Went two click in on rebound, just as it states in the manual.

My next step is stiffer springs in front.    

• Like 1

Having your suspension done by someone good that understands where, what and how you ride is the best investment you will ever make on your bike.

If your a big guy and just change the springs and think it feels great it is because it was so bad without the springs. Proper valving and tuning to match the correct springs to you, will make your bike handle much better than just springs and a couple of turns on compression and rebound.

Yes it is expensive but if done well you will feel that it is worth it.

Most of the time your forks and shock are ready for a rebuild anyway.

Edited by 4strokeridertt
  • Like 1

Not my first rodeo. Been riding for 45years.

Put the spring in and try it. It will be an improvement.you can always revalve latter.

• Like 1

I originally upgraded my springs and no valving (front and rear), rode with it for a season and was not totally happy. It will work, but it will work better revalved. It's a thing of beauty now that that it's specifically set up for me.

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w

Installed spring and rode from Yucaipa to Big Bear on mostly jeep trail. Definitely rides better, but emphasized two things. 1. The stock seat is like riding on a 2X4. 2. Now you can really tell the front is under sprung.

Thanks for all the comments. It rides good now, but can't wait to get it revalved 'cause I know it'll be awesome.

Edited by n2drt