Sign in to follow this  

Running in.

Hopping to run my 02 crf 450 in today it's had new main bearings, other bearings in the engine and piston rings. How long should I run it in for ?

Crank it up and let it heat up, maybe even with a fan pushing air through the rads and then let it completely cool off. Do that a few times then baby it only getting to half throttle a few times letting it cool completely off. Then after about five times total letting it cool completely off then ride it normal.. That's how I do

Crank it up and let it heat up, maybe even with a fan pushing air through the rads and then let it completely cool off. Do that a few times then baby it only getting to half throttle a few times letting it cool completely off. Then after about five times total letting it cool completely off then ride it normal.. That's how I do

yep, yep and change your oil after you cycle it.

yep, yep and change your oil after you cycle it.

I actually run the cheapest oil I can find for a break in and hold it in there for about 5-7 hours. I do this so the rings have absolutely no choice but to seat. Edited by Diggla117

I actually run the cheapest oil I can find for a break in and hold it in there for about 5-7 hours. I do this so the rings have absolutely no choice but to seat.

yea I agree but I change it right after it's been cycled. don't need to change the filter though, do that on the first oil change.

You don't need to heat-cycle these motors, just ride it.

You don't need to heat-cycle these motors, just ride it.

hmmmmmmm.............. :thinking:  to each their own.

The first three- four too ends I did I've had the head gasket leak and rings not seat. After reading post after post and numerous sites I've seen this suggested, it made sense so I tried it and Havnt had a problem since. Oil part good for keeping maximum friction on rings without damage of course and heat up/ cool down procedure good for baking the head gasket in if you will. Really getting a solid seal.. That thing isss pretty important. But like bushman said to each his own, whatever works for ya! :ride:

Edited by Diggla117

1st things first.. Kick it over about 30-40 times while holding the kill switch (easier to do this before you put the tank on and the spark plug is out). You will be amazed at how many kicks it takes to get the oil level to settle in the middle of the sight glass (if you are using the spec amount for a fresh build and new filter). THis ensures oil is everywhere before it fires up.
Then.. run that thing..  not 100% wfo to start, but a load by getting on and off the gas at least 1/4 -  1/2 throttle is good for seating rings. IMO.

Idling in the garrage is not how you want to seat your rings.

Get it to temp and go run it to 3/4 throttle on and off for a few mins and its done.

What do you guys think your breaking in?

Rings.

Without serious pressure BEHIND the rings, they will not seat properly.

This is achieved with acceleration and deceleration (especially) when under load, for short durations.

Running the motor in neutral will guarantee that the rings will not seat.

• Like 1

Thanks lads think it's just about run in now but it's very noisy on the top end, rattling, it cuts out on low tick over and can take a few kicks to start up could this be the decompression arm and spring failing. ?

This is achieved with acceleration and deceleration (especially) when under load, for short durations.

This.

Ride it like you stole it. When breaking in a motor you just need to do the first few oil changes sooner the keep all the new parts well lubed. The parts don't need to clearance them selfs and if they do there is a problem.

• Like 1

Ride it like you stole it. When breaking in a motor you just need to do the first few oil changes sooner the keep all the new parts well lubed. The parts don't need to clearance them selfs and if they do there is a problem.

there ya go.. run that thing..

• Like 1