Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Transmission Oil

Hey guys, i know this topic had already been discussed a bunch of times, but here it goes. I bought a new yz250 a few weeks ago. I have been researching on what transmission oil to put in this bike, and getting lots of different answers. I read that people use the Belray gear saver, but I also read that people use Shell Rotella T 15w40. I decided to give the Rotella a try because I can get it for cheap where I work. When I put the bike in 1st gear and start to release the clutch, not every time, but sometimes the bike makes a little noise and it doesn't start off "smooth." It is kind of jumpy starting off but it doesn't happen every time. The oil only has 2 hours on it. When the bike gets going it works perfect. This same problem happened with my 2008 kx450f, it makes the exact same noice with this oil. I thought it was probably my clutch getting worn out, but thats not the case because the yz is new. I put this same oil in my girlfriends 2009 crf150rb and it works fine, strange. Any ideas?? Should i give the Gear Saver a try? Thanks

When you say new, do you mean never been ridden before? As in straight from the dealer? Sometimes, the clutch plates stick together first thing in the morning, until they've been warmed up and receive some oil between them from a running engine. If you think your oil is causing some issues, then change it. I don't believe it is, but stranger things have happened.

Not sure the cause of your noise, but it shouldn't be the oil. I ran Rotella in my YZ for the 6 years I owned it, no problems. Both with a Rekluse and stock clutch. I've also ran it in a KDX and a KX125.

It's JASO-MA approved, which means it's rated for wet clutch usage in motorcycles.

• Like 1

The manual calls for Yamalube. I run this and change it every three hours. I can tell when my oil needs changing from the feel.

I've ran all sorts in my other two strokes. Keep changing it constantly and you should have no problems.

The manual calls for Yamalube. I run this and change it every three hours. I can tell when my oil needs changing from the feel.

I've ran all sorts in my other two strokes. Keep changing it constantly and you should have no problems.

Oil is cheap, Engines aren't. Change your oil often.

Type F ATF is all I run. Nothing wrong with rotella but the atf has consistent feel no matter the outside temps. It's a tough lubricant IMO.     

• Like 1

The oil only has 2 hours on it. When the bike gets going it works perfect. This same problem happened with my 2008 kx450f, it makes the exact same noice with this oil. I thought it was probably my clutch getting worn out, but thats not the case because the yz is new. I put this same oil in my girlfriends 2009 crf150rb and it works fine, strange. Any ideas?? Should i give the Gear Saver a try? Thanks

The grab feel is dependent on the combination of the clutch material and the oil. If you can buy the Rotella T cheap, then use it for a few changes, give your clutch a good workout, and see how it goes. After your original oil is totally removed or the top layer of the friction pads worn off, then it might get better.  In any case don't worry about any damage. Commercial grade diesel oils are great.

Dont mean to hijack this thread but im thinking of switching to ATF fluid from the 10W30 im running now. Is there any process of switching between fluids like a flush technique of some sort? Just curious if the remaining 10W will react negatively with the ATF.

I wouldn't worry about it...just fill and ride. I ran a 50/50 mix of chevron delo and atf a few times and it didn't hurt a thing.