Sign in to follow this  

determining spring rates, how to?

Have a 2006 450sx that I am working on and have no clue as to the spring rates on the springs that are in it, and no clue if they are original or not.  No suspension shops near by to have the springs measured.  Any simple ways to determine rates of the springs?

Have read you can stand the fork springs vertical on a broomstick and measure the compression with added barbell weights.  How much weight should I add to get a reasonable estimate?

Any quick/easy ways to measure the rear spring rate?  Mine doesnt have any visible numbers on it.

What are your front and rear sags ?

As a general rule, if your static sag is between 2-4 cm and race sag between 10-11.5 cm your ok with your rear spring.

Generally speaking.

there are spring calculator on line , but you must measure perfect your spring , and they are not 100% realistic

Havent even ridding the bike yet or measured sags.  I am familiar with the numbers needed for the rear, but what should I be seeing in the front?

I was just hoping for a way to see what springs I have in comparison to the others I have in my shop.  I have rears of 6.9, 7.2, 7.6, 8.0, 8.4, & 8.8.  Also have Fronts of 0.40 and 0.42.