Sign in to follow this  

2005 Honda crf450x Trans issues

Bought this bike last Saturday, test drive was fine ... no issues. Took it to track on Sunday and no issues until last lap, trouble upshifting into and past 3rd. Bike was dumped a few times (my kids bike actually and he is a novice with a bunch of trail ride hours on a klr650). I am going to see if I can attach a link to the video he shot showing the issue. 2005 Honda crf450x trans problem:

Kinda what I was thinking based on things I've read here. Will this be easy to see if we do the work ourselves? I can turn a wrench but not so good a diagnosing.

Buy a Factory Honda Service Manual ($40-$60 depending on where you get it) , you will need to tear the engine down completely to split the case to get to the tranny  , its not difficult , but you will need a Flywheel Puller specifically for the 450X otherwise you will destroy the end of the crank oiler and the crank will be trashed , other than that , its just take everything apart , and look at the forks and drum and gears , you will see what is wrong , and you will be able to see if the fork is bent

On a easy cheap thing to check FIRST just to rule it out..... Take off the clutch cover (lay the bike on its left side or drain the tranny oil first) and see if the shift spindle is bent or popped out (Part# 9,#14,#18), if its not centered when you open it , and it does not return to center when you shift into a gear while its lying there you will see if something is wrong there , and that might be it  , if not its the shift fork or drum (part# 1,#2,#3,#6)

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=642696&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=2005&model=24745

• Like 2

EBay will be fine  , dont forget to get the flywheel puller , it must be for a 450X , the 450R puller will not fit !

Unless the puller is for the 2009-2014 CRF450R...then it WILL fit.

Update $600 for shop to replace all shift forks.. Bench tested and seemed to shift fine now. Putting motor back in bike and hopefully get it fired up and test ride it.

• Like 1

Dumb question but are you running a full qt. of oil in the trans? It is recommended you run the full qt. not the 750ml the manual states. 

We are now... All said and done we have learned allot in this process and everything check out good. Put the motor back in the bike and got everything buttoned up and it started on the first kick! Ran down the road fine. Next weekend is the trail ride for the official test but like I said we learned allot along the way. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Trail weekend went off without a hitch... Well almost, a loose clutch cable caused some shifting issues and panic but after a little adjustment all was good. 60 miles of trails without a problem.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it! From personal experience I can say the '05 450X transmission is pretty dang durable. I was finally able to destroy my '05 X but it took lots of abuse before 3rd and 5th gears exploded at the same time.

FWIW I have experienced a similar symptom. The shift lever found its way inward on the splines until it was hitting on a ridge on the outer case. It wouldn't shift up higher than 2nd gear? Adjusted it back out on the shaft splines and no issues.