Sign in to follow this  

Riding with Spinal Fusion

Anyone ride with Spinal work done. How's the experience?

I just had L4-L5 fused with Ti rods put in two weeks ago. Estimated i have about 6 more months before i can straddle a bike.

img006.jpg

I have L1-L4 cadaver implants, fused and plated. It's fun!

Seriously, it's OK. The more you stand, the more your back will like it. Ass impacts through the seat are what causes the days-long backaches.

• Like 1

I don't have a spinal fusion, but I had microlaser dischectomy for herniation in L4 and L5. It's been 10 or so years ago and I'm good. Just make sure that your core is as solid as possible. Take rehab seriously and if you're overweight, lose it. Soggy midsections and back problems don't live well together. Heal up soon and well! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've got this same thing done . I asked the doc if he used lock-tite when i woke up , he was not amused  :p  Main reason i stay off the track and off the jumps , jumps absolutely suk . I rode our local track a few laps kinda slow and it was all good so sped up to one nice wide table top and nailed . I hurt for about 2 days i guess it is the instance pressure release and landing even softly causes compression. Anywho i let him rip around the track and i watch and when he gets tired of it we go ride some trails . 

• Like 1

I had L4 and 5 dischectomy not fused. Had no problem.. It's been said above but It is very true, a good strong core and legs will help a lot!

I've been riding with this injury for years. It just broke apart over time and became unusable. I'm done riding the track anyway. I was track rider 85% percent of the time when i was younger but just not for me anymore. I really enjoy hair scrambles and enduro now. Still get a great workout and overall more fun and less stressful. I'm hoping that with PT i can get in the best shape i had been in years.

• Like 1

According to my ortho surgeon I need the same l4/l5 fusion. My back and left leg hurt a lot of the time but miraculously NOT when I'm riding. I do some pretty fast desert riding with whoops and the occasional track day. The only reason Im considering the surgery is I am loosing strength in my left leg due to nerve compression and the Doc says if this amount of compression happened suddenly as in a car wreck I would be paralyzed already. I am just concerned that things may be worse for riding after fusion especially when landing jumps. One thing that gives me hope is that Trey Canard has 3 or 4 level fusion last year and he still rides the jumps pretty well! 

• Like 1

According to my ortho surgeon I need the same l4/l5 fusion. My back and left leg hurt a lot of the time but miraculously NOT when I'm riding. I do some pretty fast desert riding with whoops and the occasional track day. The only reason Im considering the surgery is I am loosing strength in my left leg due to nerve compression and the Doc says if this amount of compression happened suddenly as in a car wreck I would be paralyzed already. I am just concerned that things may be worse for riding after fusion especially when landing jumps. One thing that gives me hope is that Trey Canard has 3 or 4 level fusion last year and he still rides the jumps pretty well!

Yes sir I'm strictly grounded. I have c 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 fused with a plate in my fusion. Also 3-4 4-5 5-6 herniated in the l section I believe they have been shooting me up like a pin cushion. I find the same as you when riding my back don't hurt:D
  • Like 2

Yes sir I'm strictly grounded. I have c 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 fused with a plate in my fusion. Also 3-4 4-5 5-6 herniated in the l section I believe they have been shooting me up like a pin cushion. I find the same as you when riding my back don't hurt:D

What happen to you?

Life believe it or not football landscaper own my own landscape business father time brother.

• Like 2

I've got this same thing done . I asked the doc if he used lock-tite when i woke up , he was not amused :p Main reason i stay off the track and off the jumps , jumps absolutely suk . I rode our local track a few laps kinda slow and it was all good so sped up to one nice wide table top and nailed . I hurt for about 2 days i guess it is the instance pressure release and landing even softly causes compression. Anywho i let him rip around the track and i watch and when he gets tired of it we go ride some trails .

I tried last year it was good second time it hurt my neck I think the sudden impact is no good no cushion in the spine you know.
  • Like 1

Life believe it or not football landscaper own my own landscape business father time brother.

Too funny cas, I had a landscape business years ago, started when I was 19 now I'm 61 ha ha! Then switched to concrete & masonry work. Now I only do occasional manual labor like last week I was swinging a pick and shoveling dirt. Rode the whooped out desert all day Saturday with my son who hauls butt. My back felt much better after 4 hours in the saddle. Now its Thursday and my back hurts like hell. I think I need some therapeutic dirt bike riding! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Too funny cas, I had a landscape business years ago, started when I was 19 now I'm 61 ha ha! Then switched to concrete & masonry work. Now I only do occasional manual labor like last week I was swinging a pick and shoveling dirt. Rode the whooped out desert all day Saturday with my son who hauls butt. My back felt much better after 4 hours in the saddle. Now its Thursday and my back hurts like hell. I think I need some therapeutic dirt bike riding! :thumbsup:

I say the same thing breaks up the scar tissue.
  • Like 2

Me too. Nothing would make my back feel better than riding.

Well you have to make it sound logical why we still do it but sometimes it does help.

Me too. Nothing would make my back feel better than riding.

like I say we have to make it sound logical to just about everyone we know. I'm just 2 weeks out of a cast from a broken foot just from rolling my ankle walking down the steps. My lower back is so bad my foot goes straight up dead on me I rolled it snapped like a carrot didn't even feel it. I took my 250sx out for a scoot today my foot hurts a bit because the stock pegs aren't wide enough. If I ride my 450 thumper it's fine but I put scar aftermarket pegs they are wider better pegs.