Sign in to follow this  

'05 Thru '08 Swingarm The Same?

I picked up an '08 for peanuts and I am rebuilding to virtually new (thank god I still have friends at AHM to get me parts at cost) but there are some things that I will get off ebay as well. I want a newer looking swingarm and I have not found a difinitive answer as to what the difference is between the '05 thru '08.

Yes I know they all have different part numbers. Yes I know they will all bolt up. Is the geometry different? I have searched the net fairly well for an answer I trust. Surprisingly I did not find much.

I did find this thread. See post #6    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/833839-swingarm-and-wheel-what-yearsmodels-will-interchange/#!G0kY9

Thanks!!

I was under the impression the length of the swingarm changed in06-08 and that was one of the improvements from the previous 05 models

I was under the impression the length of the swingarm changed in06-08 and that was one of the improvements from the previous 05 models

That would make sense and I would think the newer ones where shorter which to me would explain the improved turning on the '06-'08. I have seen some very nice '05 swingarms on ebay but I would only buy one if they are exactly the same. I have a feeling I may end up buying a brand new '08.

Thanks Diggla!

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 1

can always compare part #'s on an online parts microfiche

Oh I have. None are the same but you know how that goes, 1 little cosmetic change or a slightly different bolt here or there and it gets a whole new part number

Anyone know the difference between an '07 and the '08? They are very very close to being the same bike...

Anyone know the difference between an '07 and the '08? They are very very close to being the same bike...

This would be worth picking up the phone and calling Factory Connection and asking. They made little changes to the linkage and shock lengths several times in that 05-08 window, but exactly which I cant remember.

I have been though this a lot building different 500 AF's, I am petty pretty sure 05-08 are the same, all the swing arms if I remember correctly would fit from 2002 through 2008, they can be slightly different but look the same and will mount up. Even you can play around with all the years different linkages and get them to mix and match to get the ride height you desire for your weight and appt. 

I have been out of the loop for 9 years but still have all this stuff in the garage when I played with it. Even the 09 and newer swingarms will mount on the older chasses. I know because I bought a swingarm off a 10 CRF 450 to mount on a 04 or 05 CRF 450 and with a little mixing and matching the linkages it all went together with proper ride height. The 09 and newer are 18mm longer.

05-08 are pretty much the same chasses, the 05 motor rides 5mm higher however. Of course the 08 has a dampener and offset triples but other than that you can mix these bikes they are the same.

2009 is completely different, 05-08 chasses wise are real real close. you can make chasses wise a 06 thru 08 the same with a little tuning, the 05 has different  motor down tubes that ride 5mm higher.

On the last year of this run of bikes in 08 Honda basically admitted it was a twitch master by putting a Dampener on it, the 04 is much more stable platform but a big boat as well. A 04 loves fast sandy conditions.