Sign in to follow this  

Seat bouncing and clutch

i am practicing seat bouncing and am getting in down pretty well, but i find myself seat bouncing like almost all the jumps, is this a bad habit? or is it fine i feel like i am not going faster before the jump because i know i will make it if i just seat bounce the jump. also is it a good technique to pull in the clutch and release it on the face of the jump? it seems like i lose so much speed because i am no longer putting power to the ground when i tried this. just was wondering. thanks

A seat bounce is usually for jumps right after corners where you're wide open on the throttle trying to loft the bike up to clear the jump and already sitting. Seat bouncing at high speed will get you hurt on many jumps, you'll know exactly what I mean when you do it. The jumps you're talking about must not be very big if you're sitting for everything, or the jump faces are very gradual.

I'm not sure why you're using the clutch before a jump.... keep constant throttle all the way up the jump face, and get back on it before landing to help push you thru the landing instead of just slamming down, so squeeze the bike with your legs.

• Like 1

i am practicing seat bouncing and am getting in down pretty well, but i find myself seat bouncing like almost all the jumps, is this a bad habit? or is it fine i feel like i am not going faster before the jump because i know i will make it if i just seat bounce the jump. also is it a good technique to pull in the clutch and release it on the face of the jump? it seems like i lose so much speed because i am no longer putting power to the ground when i tried this. just was wondering. thanks

I'd say you're loosing time when you're seat bouncing all the jumps. The only time SB is useful is when you need to keep picking up speed all the way through the jump. 

It also sounds like you're using the clutch too much. Most of the time you just need to nip the clutch real quick. 

If you really want all the inside lines about Seat Bouncing and Launch it, watch this free DVD preview then order the DVD or Stream. http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/vo3-dvd-7-motocross-absorb-scrub-whip-jumping-techniques

Seat bouncing is huge pet peeves of David Vuillemein.  He often talks about how pro riders who could be top 10 guys...but are barely making mains...are always seat bouncing everything, when it actually slows them down.  Jumping seated allows you to clear jumps at a lower speed, because you take a steeper trajectory off the jump face.  That means more time in the air, and less foward speed.  That costs you time.  The only time seat bouncing makes up time, is when you are hitting the jump face as fast as you possibly can (railing the corner prior to the jump PERFECT), and you STILL can not clear it.  When that is the case...then you seat bounce.  If that is not the case...then you are slowing yourself down.  So, unless you can rail a turn like RV, JS, or RD, you are slowing your self down by seat bouncing.  If you find you need to SB....work on increasing your speed into the jump face, instead of altering your jumping technique.  Seat bouncing is a crutch for most of us, and it masks our more glaring weaknesses.

I am really weak at jumping seated, and I could care less.  I know that if I spend time developing that technique...it will probably slow me down, because then I will stop focusing up railing that corner faster.

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 1