Sign in to follow this  

Would a YZ125 be an okay starter bike?

I've hardly ever rode at all and I have very limited knowledge of dirt bikes. I have the opportunity to snag one at a pretty fair price and I was wondering if it'd be good for me.

I'm 16 years old, 6'0, 165lbs. First off, would I fit the bike well? Is it too small or would it be fine? Having it be a 2 stroke, would it have too much zip for a complete newby? I plan or riding with friends on the local mx track as well as trail riding.

Thanks everyone! If this isn't the bike for me, what do you recommend?

Perfect starter bike.  It will be as fast as you need it to be.  As your skills increase and your weight increases you may want to step up to a larger bike YZ250 2 stroke or YZ450F 4 stroke.  That is for later though.  The 125 will help teach you good techniques with carrying your speed in the corners and how to work the clutch. 

I think everyone should start out on a 125 2 stroke and then move up from there.  Even when you have been riding a long time and you may have moved on to other bikes.  Going back and riding a 125 2 stroke will put a smile on your face.  There is not a more fun bike made.

• Like 1

Perfect starter bike. It will be as fast as you need it to be. As your skills increase and your weight increases you may want to step up to a larger bike YZ250 2 stroke or YZ450F 4 stroke. That is for later though. The 125 will help teach you good techniques with carrying your speed in the corners and how to work the clutch.

I think everyone should start out on a 125 2 stroke and then move up from there. Even when you have been riding a long time and you may have moved on to other bikes. Going back and riding a 125 2 stroke will put a smile on your face. There is not a more fun bike made.

Thank you! So it won't have any problem on trails? What do you think would be a fair price to pick one up for on craigslist? My budget is about <$1200.

You could probably get a nice one for 1200. Perfect bike to start on.

I'm also considering a TTR230. Would the YZ or TTR be better for me considering my budget, intent of use, and experience.

Stay with the YZ   The TTR is a good bike.  It is a good starter bike but you will quickly outgrow the bikes capabilities.  For 1200 you should be able to find a nice 125 one in the early 2000 to 2004 year range.  And yes it will be fine on the trails. 

Stay with the YZ The TTR is a good bike. It is a good starter bike but you will quickly outgrow the bikes capabilities. For 1200 you should be able to find a nice 125 one in the early 2000 to 2004 year range. And yes it will be fine on the trails.

Great thanks! I definitely think that I'll have more fun the YZ over the TTR considering the large HP increase and having it be 50lbs lighter. So should I just look for a YZ125? Or should I look at the other 125 2 strokes like the Honda, Kaw, or Suzuki?

Great thanks! I definitely think that I'll have more fun the YZ over the TTR considering the large HP increase and having it be 50lbs lighter. So should I just look for a YZ125? Or should I look at the other 125 2 strokes like the Honda, Kaw, or Suzuki?

YZ FTW!

But in all seriousness the rm is a great handling bike.

I would look for the newest 125 in the best condition. Don't get hung up on brand.

I would look for the newest 125 in the best condition. Don't get hung up on brand.

+1

Hi im wondering if you guys could help me too. I am 5 5 and 120lbs. I mainly ride in the trails and am interested in doing some hare scrambles. The past times I have went riding I have been using a honda 80cc 4 stroke which is really small but its the only bike I could ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. And sorry if im not supposed to ask this im new to this.

Hi im wondering if you guys could help me too. I am 5 5 and 120lbs. I mainly ride in the trails and am interested in doing some hare scrambles. The past times I have went riding I have been using a honda 80cc 4 stroke which is really small but its the only bike I could ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. And sorry if im not supposed to ask this im new to this.

Just make your own forum post dude.

Hi im wondering if you guys could help me too. I am 5 5 and 120lbs. I mainly ride in the trails and am interested in doing some hare scrambles. The past times I have went riding I have been using a honda 80cc 4 stroke which is really small but its the only bike I could ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. And sorry if im not supposed to ask this im new to this.

You are at a tough size because what ever you get that fits you now probably won't fit you in a year or so. Right now I would say go with a used KX OR RM 100. other bikes I would consider would be Cr85 big wheel or CRF150R. There may be others to consider but buy something inexpensive so you can sell it easily when you outgrow it. Another option would be to get a 125 2 stroke and cut the seat and lower the bike.

You are at a tough size because what ever you get that fits you now probably won't fit you in a year or so. Right now I would say go with a used KX OR RM 100. other bikes I would consider would be Cr85 big wheel or CRF150R. There may be others to consider but buy something inexpensive so you can sell it easily when you outgrow it. Another option would be to get a 125 2 stroke and cut the seat and lower the bike.

Ok thanks I think I will try to go for a 125 and just learn from there