Sign in to follow this  

Keep going, or tims to Re-up?

Tried searching this as i know its been discussed but couldn't find much....old post i was thinking of must be severely buried. Anyways....

My DRZ haz been my tinker addiction since the day i bought it and it had 14K milez. Firzt summer i had it, the crank seized. Engine was rebuilt by the dealer that sold it to me used, long story. Second summer, and i hit a deer @ 60 mph. Now i rebuilt her, and im looking at a frame with 15K miles on it, with a ton of new parts mounted to her...and wondering. Is it worth to keep tinkering and upgrading and fighting with fixes? Putting the engine seize and deer strike aside, i still feel like i spens more weekends in the garage fixing her than i do riding her. She still has some major kinks, and the next one in line (re-jetting/replacing carburetor) brought me to this question of "is it time to let her go?"
Since reading up on the WR250R, i have fallen madly in love with it. EFI is hugely attractive because here in montana, i can ride in town @ 3000 ft elevation, to yellowstone park @8,000 feet elevation, to some mountain trails pushing 10,000 ft.
So im torn, i love Dr. Zuzi Suzuki and she has been a great ride and all, but it seems no matter what, in this decade, carburetors are old news, and im not sure if they can fit my needs in a bike.
So my question is: FCR 39mm 3x3 + MRD Z-PRO upgrade and cross fingers thiz bike holds on and keeps going, or down payment on WR250R and get the sixth gear i always try to mash into.

I use my DRZ for ALOT more highway than i anticipated, but its about as heavy of a bike as i want because when i get to a trail, Dr. Zuzi wakes up and and has some fun. I've ridden my Dad's KLR650 and d9 not finx it enjoyable in the dirt, it just feels like a means to get you through. A lightweight bike would not bother me on the interstate, i prefer it, but Dr. Zuzi hums the most awful tune at 75 mph.

Dr. Zuzi Suzuki's mods:
Ricky stator
Clarke 3.9 tank
Luggage racks back and saddle
Sm sprockets
*$1,500 in parts engine rebuild, including crank and cam chain*(labor was free)
New mirrors, edge tailight
Seat concepts seat
Free power mod
Ground off the point on back of shifter and put case covers on engine.
*deer wreck*
Rebuilt radiators and new hoses, aftrmarket fan
New wheel bushings front and rear
New plastics. Cleaned exhaust and painted with barbecue hi-temp paint
New headlight
Pro-star hand guards
Handle bars and grips

And that list is just off the top of my head.

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter

If your DRZ was rebuilt from the ground up by a reputable mechanic, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in the engine department for a long time.  Add the FCR, 3x3, and MRD-Z-PRO pipe and you'll be around 40hp.  There is a ton of research and help right here on TT so it shouldn't be to hard.  Other than maybe setting the suspension (if it's not already right for you), your bike sounds like it's pretty well sorted.  Watch the classifieds here for the carb and MRD, they do show up and you could save some money.

The WR250R is a great bike from what I've read but it is not much lighter than the DRZ and it is definitely down on power so I would guess that it wouldn't pull highway speeds as comfortably.  The FI is probably it's biggest benefit which would be a big plus for your altitude changes.  If something goes wrong with the FI though, it's back to the dealer for the work.  With the carb on the DRZ, you could fix it yourself if need be.  Personally, I would give the FCR and pipe a try and see if you like  it.  If it doesn't work out, you could always sell the carb/pipe and make a decent percentage of your money back and go for the WR.

Before i bought me DRZ twas between the DRZ and the WRR,  i checked out a WRR and knew right away there was no way i was buying one,  it just does not have enough power (after riding a DRZ),  That was it,  and i compared it to a stock DRZ with just a 3X3 and a jet kit,  the DRZ is much stronger.

the WRR is the best 250 available tho,  no doubt,  and just the fact that most compare it to the DRZ shows how good of a bike it is,   just not strong enough IMHO. 

Did not like its speedo either,  very cheap/plain,  the DRZ'S speedo is much nicer imo.

Edited by 150ron

Before i bought me DRZ twas between the DRZ and the WRR, i checked out a WRR and knew right away there was no way i was buying one, it just does not have enough power (after riding a DRZ), That was it, and i compared it to a stock DRZ with just a 3X3 and a jet kit, the DRZ is much stronger.

the WRR is the best 250 available tho, no doubt, and just the fact that most compare it to the DRZ shows how good of a bike it is, just not strong enough IMHO.

Did not like its speedo either, very cheap/plain, the DRZ'S speedo is much nicer imo.

Ron,

Is the wrr that noticibly different in power? I have ridden a crf 250l and that is no where near as powerful as the drz but I have heard the wrr is much better than the 250L. A guy at work is having the same debate right now and he is leaning more towards the WRR. I would really like to take one for a rip. They make a big bore kit for them as well that would probably make it a bit more comparable to the drz....

Ron,

Is the wrr that noticibly different in power? I have ridden a crf 250l and that is no where near as powerful as the drz but I have heard the wrr is much better than the 250L. A guy at work is having the same debate right now and he is leaning more towards the WRR. I would really like to take one for a rip. They make a big bore kit for them as well that would probably make it a bit more comparable to the drz....

Yeah,  they make a BBK that turns it into a 290,  to me it was the type of bike that you can get used to its power in a day and then you will want more,  its just not strong.

I think the difference between the CRF250 and the WRR is like 5-6 hp.

Im not a expert or anything,  the DRZ just fealt way more powerful to me,  the WRR can get quick,  but it does not have the pulling power the DRZ has.

• Like 1

Honestly for what you are doing I think the money would be best spent on a wide-ratio transmission. After having ridden my DRZ as a dual sport quite a bit the one piece of the puzzle which is really missing is a wider gear set. After that would come a carb (maybe CVK?) and then a pipe.

However mine is a plated E so I've always had those goodies and it's a bit lighter. I rode a WRR when they came out and I must say I was underwealmed.

-Grant

There is a wider gear ratio in the popular parts section for DRZ, but ive not hearf from anyone. Ive daydreamed on the thought, but doubt i could install it myself, plus there are parts that have to be modded. I may consider having the parts modded while im at Nat'l Guard Annual Training this summer, but only if the carb and pipe make enough difference. We will see. At that point, I'd be yet another $2,000 into this bike.

Yeah,  they make a BBK that turns it into a 290,  to me it was the type of bike that you can get used to its power in a day and then you will want more,  its just not strong.

I think the difference between the CRF250 and the WRR is like 5-6 hp.

Im not a expert or anything,  the DRZ just fealt way more powerful to me,  the WRR can get quick,  but it does not have the pulling power the DRZ has.

To me, the first few weeks I owned the DRZ, I got used to its power and wanted more more more. But thats because the damn thing weighs alot, and should have more power for that weight. maybe its just my suspension, which is still stock, and i doubt adjusted, and I also have no clue on anything about suspension. I hardly ever notice minor adjustments. But i do suspect after 18K miles the front needs to be re-sprung....

• Like 1