Sign in to follow this  

Will Scorpion rad gaurd for a KTM fit my Beta?

The local dealer is telling me that a Scorpion Rad guard will fit my Beta, so I dropped $125 on it, brought it home and it doesn't seem to be anywhere close to fitting. Before I start cutting and bending it up, is there anyone who's managed to fit one on an 09 Beta 450rr? I also have the bigger tank, will that be an issue? The rad guard is a Scorpion KTM-1054 that says it fits KTM 400-520 SX/EXC 2001-2, KTM 450-525 EXC 2003-6, and XC/XCW 400-525 2007.

I checked the cross reference section and did a search, but didn't find anything for this brand.

The local dealer is telling me that a Scorpion Rad guard will fit my Beta, so I dropped $125 on it, brought it home and it doesn't seem to be anywhere close to fitting. Before I start cutting and bending it up, is there anyone who's managed to fit one on an 09 Beta 450rr? I also have the bigger tank, will that be an issue? The rad guard is a Scorpion KTM-1054 that says it fits KTM 400-520 SX/EXC 2001-2, KTM 450-525 EXC 2003-6, and XC/XCW 400-525 2007.

I checked the cross reference section and did a search, but didn't find anything for this brand.

Not sure on that one.. the KTM. Flatland fits good but just have to drill a hole about an inch different... why don't you take it back to your dealer and ask him to show you how that is supposed to fit.

It seems like my rads are too wide for the gaurds, and the way the holes sit in the guard, everything will sit too wide for the shrouds. It's going back to the shop.

• Like 1

It seems like my rads are too wide for the gaurds, and the way the holes sit in the guard, everything will sit too wide for the shrouds. It's going back to the shop.

bring your bike too.. Maybe there's something else there that can fit.  Yea it's better to take it back.. kind of a bummer when you want it on already though..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I still don't have my rad back, it's getting repaired, so even if the guards did fit I still can't go. No biggy though, jet ski season is here and she's good to go.

Its pretty easy to fit Scorpion add on grills for a GasGas to the Beta rads if you are currently running frame type braces, as they are the perfect size.  I have the Plus One performance braces that Steve builds for the bikes but needed more protection.  I fabbed a simple additional outer side adapter plate. In addition to mounting the grills it adds even more lateral strength.  No mods to shrouds or rads required.

Its pretty easy to fit Scorpion add on grills for a GasGas to the Beta rads if you are currently running frame type braces, as they are the perfect size.  I have the Plus One performance braces that Steve builds for the bikes but needed more protection.  I fabbed a simple additional outer side adapter plate. In addition to mounting the grills it adds even more lateral strength.  No mods to shrouds or rads required.

Resurrecting this.....I'm going to order some Plus one performance gen2 braces and was curious what grills you are using with them GP?

Emperor Racing add on grills for a GasGas fit fine with outer adapter plate.

Edited by GP

I didn't know Emperor made Beta rad braces. The GG ones I had were very strong! I have a '13 and when I got it there were not many choices. I got my bike from Steve @ Afterhours and he set me up with his braces but no grills. My setup is custom as I need grills and more strength. The GG grills are a perfect fit size wise but not at all as far as mounting holes. You will need to make another outside plate for the rad brace with the correct holes and redrilll the grills on the inside. This was fine with me as I need the strength for falls in the rocks, I even added two more cross braces across the front.

The Beta Rad Guards better than nothing, but not great at all, as one pointed rock found my left radiator and easily dented both the plate and of course the radiator. 

IMHO, grills are only needed if you have wimpy side plates, but if Flatland Racing made a set for the Beta's I'd buy them!!

So, I'm ordering up the Plus one perf. rad braces that are custom built so when I get them in I may see if the emperors fit up or another brand. I know the braces work with the factory plastic guards but I'd like somethiing a little stouter like BPD or emperor etc.

The Beta Rad Guards better than nothing, but not great at all, as one pointed rock found my left radiator and easily dented both the plate and of course the radiator.

IMHO, grills are only needed if you have wimpy side plates, but if Flatland Racing made a set for the Beta's I'd buy them!!

Grills are needed when you have baseball sized rocks kicked up, and very tight woods with brush and sticks that can and will poke a hole in a radiator. Hell, one poked a hole through my leg!

Grills are needed when you have baseball sized rocks kicked up, and very tight woods with brush and sticks that can and will poke a hole in a radiator. Hell, one poked a hole through my leg!

No you're right, fully understood!

I liked the Flatland guards I had on the old CRF450x, they were both a super strong grill and super strong side protection, wish they made 'em for the Beta

I had the Beta radiator guards on my 300 RR race and wanted more protection so I adapted them to fit BPD guards.....they have been awesome :) I think most can be adapted....attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1438924743.460355.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1438924766.078990.jpg

Pics of finished right side......

Now your talking, and understand what I always said about BPD guards doing nothing if you catch a rock in a fall behind them. Good stuff!