Thoughts of the TM 2t

I've looked at a few new bikes at our local dealerships the last week or so Honda walked it browsed around and yep they are all 4 strokes . Suzuki same thing . Yamaha looked around for a few and gravitated straight to the smokers ( Only 2 in the whole showroom 125-250 ) KTM i understand is a great bike but orange doesn't match my goggles ?  I've been looking online at the new TM and want one Very Much Badly . It just looks mean, the contour of the frame is just sexy and if you watch a few videos they scream. Anyone have one know of anyone that owns one ? Ridin' one ? Have specs or statistics of the 250 2t or any info ? Best place to look into buying one ? Also we needed a new topic anyway , anyone got any hand guards for one ?

s780_IMG_5645.jpg

Probably great bikes. I think everything or nearly everything on the bike is hand welded and assembled.

For me personally, parts availability/support/cost would be a huge reason persuading me not to buy one.

I imagine the initial cost of the bike itself is pretty steep as well.

Edited by RLTrail
  • Like 2

I don't know anything about them but I would think they're good quality stuff. But if decide against it yz250 is still there, I just bought one... Great bike I couldn't be happier. I feel that despite the the fact that they haven't updated it it's still a competitor with the new 2 strokes, some even say the best

I was thinking about TM too, a while back.  Do some Googling about first, where you can buy them, then, where can you get parts for them.  When I checked, it was pretty grim.   Also, if you happened to want a test ride somewhere.... it ain't gonna happen...unless your kind neighbor has one - unlikely.

• Like 1

I was thinking about TM too, a while back.  Do some Googling about first, where you can buy them, then, where can you get parts for them.  When I checked, it was pretty grim.   Also, if you happened to want a test ride somewhere.... it ain't gonna happen...unless your kind neighbor has one - unlikely.

I've got a friend that goes to italy every year on vacation maybe i can talk her into smuggling one back in her purse  ?

• Like 1

I've got a friend that goes to italy every year on vacation maybe i can talk her into smuggling one back in her purse  ?

Unfortunately, that MAY be the best way to get one!  Seriously, Google them, looking for a dealer you can actually buy from, not a web address that says they are a dealer.  I found that when I was investigating them.  One was somewhere on the western shore of Canada, I don't remember where the other ONE was.  If they haven't IMPROVED their product availability, they SHOULD!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, that MAY be the best way to get one!  Seriously, Google them, looking for a dealer you can actually buy from, not a web address that says they are a dealer.  I found that when I was investigating them.  One was somewhere on the western shore of Canada, I don't remember where the other ONE was.  If they haven't IMPROVED their product availability, they SHOULD!

http://www.tmmotorcyclesusa.com/    Two dealerships at the bottom of the page . 

Edited by Beau 88

http://www.tmmotorcyclesusa.com/    Two dealerships at the bottom of the page . 

Also click on "dealers" on the top of that page.  There are some scattered around the country.  None close to you (Georgia) but this is more than they used to list.  This is at the point though where those individual dealers web sites refer to those 2 sites if you want info on TM.  

OK, I looked at the dealer list.  The Ca. "dealers" seem to be trying to hide the fact that they claim to be dealers.  The Idaho dealer seems to be an actual dealer.  That's as far as I got.

Edited by motoxvet
  • Like 1

TM's are great bikes from what I have heard from those that have ridden them. Wish I could say I have as well. Are you wanting an MX'er or off road bike? If off road, the Gas Gas series of 2T's are another option. They have a good size dealer network here in the U.S., have 125, 200, 250, and 300cc sizes (250/300 w/e-start) available, top line components, and they're damn sexy IMO!

gg_ec250_standard_0031.jpg

Edited by SS109
  • Like 1

MOST important factor in deciding on a TM ( they look to be great bikes for sure)....is SELLABLITY after you decide to move on. Virtually zero chance of selling it and IF you manage to, it will be for a pittance as no one knows what they are and demand would be very very low. I have seen ones for sale in the past for and they stay on craigslist for over a year, every few months a drop in price. Too bad because they are probably a good bike.

Joe

• Like 1

From what I've read, they are made almost entirely by hand in Italy I believe and have all high quality parts out of the crate so there's no need for aftermarket anything.

I would love one, but I don't have 10 grand anywhere to drop on one.

The day I win the lotto, I'll let ya know...

• Like 2

good bikes alright they come from factory race ready and ive heard there fasted of all the brands

few down sides tho resell will be hard cause everyone brainwashed and parts are hard to find / expensive if usa i guess

Having owned many brands of bikes, I would have to disagree with people that comment how hard exotics are to get ride of.  My TM and Husaberg selling experience has been much better than Jap brands or KTM / Husky.  Parts have never been an issue either, BUT you don't go to the local dealer and hope to get all your parts now, but that can be said for most brands nowadays.  Fact is, I just sold my Husaberg, even without advertising, and just found a 2013 TM that I am strongly considering buying.  TM quality and performance (at least for 2T's) is second to none, although I will say that if I go 4T, it will be a Beta (I am not sold on EFI). 

• Like 1

The TMs are great bikes as long as you can keep it on the pipe because that's where the power all is. I'm good friends with the people at a local TM dealer ship and their son used to ride them at the nationals.

Due to the reliability , even with an amazing mechanic, they pulled out of being a dealership and returned to an ordinary workshop so he could ride a KTM ( against the dealers contract). It was a shame because they were crazy fast!