Sign in to follow this  

Flat spot in rim

I have a flat spot in my rim does anyone know how to get it out

If you're talking about small sections of the bead bent out from hitting a hard object with low tire pressure, you can place it in a vise with some heat resistant gasket material (asbestos) protecting the aluminum from the steel jaw, heat it up a little, and push the "Ears" back in gently. I've done this with a couple sections of horseshoe against each of the rim surfaces to match the round of the rim. The idea is only to bend the bead back in line with the rest of the un-bent beyou'll probably have to replace ad.

This doesn't work if you actually have a flat side in the center of the rim (rim is bent out of true with a loose spoke or two). In that case, you may have to replace the rim.

If you're talking about small sections of the bead bent out from hitting a hard object with low tire pressure, you can place it in a vise with some heat resistant gasket material (asbestos) protecting the aluminum from the steel jaw, heat it up a little, and push the "Ears" back in gently. I've done this with a couple sections of horseshoe against each of the rim surfaces to match the round of the rim. The idea is only to bend the bead back in line with the rest of the un-bent beyou'll probably have to replace ad.

This doesn't work if you actually have a flat side in the center of the rim (rim is bent out of true with a loose spoke or two). In that case, you may have to replace the rim.

I'm not sure if it's in the middle of the rim but when I ride I can't feel it