Sign in to follow this  

VIN disaster....HELP!

So I bought a 450 SXF to fix/resell.    I took the frame in to be Orange Powder Coated.......Then I got the call....."Got some bad news"   The Poweder cpat shop sanded off part of the VIN........What can I do?????????   Im freakin!!!!!!!!   Can the VIN be restamped?

Why do you need a VIN on the bike? I buy and sell dirt bikes a lot and never worry about titles or vins. Only thing I use vins for is year model check but that's about it.

Jason

I would make the powder coat company buy you a new frame!

He did say, " we'll make it right". Pretty expensive mistake on there part I'd say....

Same thing happened to me. I went to local tool store and bought number and letter stamps and put the vin back on bike. I just had to be careful not to mess it up. You only get one try. Not sure if you can buy them in the US, but you can in Canada.

They likely blasted it off during prep but you would have to be not paying attention or using a pretty course grit for that though...

I'd like to know the final resolution to this as well, I'm wondering if they can just bring in an engraver?

default_large.png
143 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Does anyone have any information or knowledge on how to obain a first title for a project bike in Washington state.   Heres what Im talking about.

-   I bought a new KTM frame off of ebay.   new in the sense that this is BRAND NEW, i.e. there is no serial number.

- I built a project bike around the frame with a KX500 Engine.

Now I'd like to title it so I can get my ORV tags.   I've emailed and called DMV without much help at all.

SO YOU KEEP COMING ON TT ASKING FOR HELP WITH FRAMES WITH NO VIN #  WAY TO FISHY !!! DON'T HELP THIS GUY !!!!!                                                                                                 I WAS A KTM DEALER AND KTM WILL NOT RELEASE A FRAME WITHOUT A VIN#  AND THE PROPER PAPER WORK

Edited by mx481

If they are offering to make it right you can order a new frame from Ktm and they will stamp your vin# into it. Not cheap though I priced one for my 13 it was around $1500.

default_large.png

143 posts

Thanks ass hole....I'm working with wsp......why don't you call me directly....instead of accusing me of being a thief....alright!!!!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

#1 icon_share.png

Does anyone have any information or knowledge on how to obain a first title for a project bike in Washington state.   Heres what Im talking about.

-   I bought a new KTM frame off of ebay.   new in the sense that this is BRAND NEW, i.e. there is no serial number.

Now I'd like to title it so I can get my ORV tags.   I've emailed and called DMV without much help at all.

SO YOU KEEP COMING ON TT ASKING FOR HELP WITH FRAMES WITH NO VIN #  WAY TO FISHY !!! DON'T HELP THIS GUY !!!!!                                                                                                 I WAS A KTM DEALER AND KTM WILL NOT RELEASE A FRAME WITHOUT A VIN#  AND THE PROPER PAPER WORK

default_large.png

143 posts

Thanks ass hole....I'm working with wsp......why don't you call me directly....instead of accusing me of being a thief....alright!!!!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:41 PM#1 icon_share.png

And maybe....just maybe shou should read the post.....the powder coat company sanded part of it off...I have them so....is that not completely clear to you?????????????

If they are offering to make it right you can order a new frame from Ktm and they will stamp your vin# into it. Not cheap though I priced one for my 13 it was around $1500.

thank you noslo....there are obviously others out there that don't understand what it means to have a frame with an Mso potentially be worthless.....I'm glad there are those that are still out here willing to help...the shop emailed me today....the wsp will restamp the frame to match the Mso, since part of the vin is still legible...the difference is it will be a plate affixed to the frame instead of stamping the frame.

That's good that it's salvageable atleast. Just sucks that it will not be the oem vin style when it wasn't your fault.. But atleast it will be handled.

what I see is someone in a very short time has two frames with missing and damaged vin #s ... the first frame you said was brand NEW and came without a vin # . ktm will not sell a frame that way because it's not legal for them to do so .... now this frame that you say was damaged by the painter. so what to do ??? a person that has the legal paper work would go make a complaint to the court to make the damaged property hole if the person that did the damage would not ... that's if a person thinks of life in a legal way  :(

what I see is someone in a very short time has two frames with missing and damaged vin #s ... the first frame you said was brand NEW and came without a vin # . ktm will not sell a frame that way because it's not legal for them to do so .... now this frame that you say was damaged by the painter. so what to do ??? a person that has the legal paper work would go make a complaint to the court to make the damaged property hole if the person that did the damage would not ... that's if a person thinks of life in a legal way  :(

Yes....now your assuming that I would want to take up hours of time in a small claims court action for 1600. Man your world is perfect....I'm sorry you can't see a view from someone who's trying to learn and only assume because they are trying to learn that they are a crook....yes, I did bye a frame off ebay....yes it was brand new.....yes it did not have a vin.......and yes I learned a huge lesson from that.....now when I tried to do it right and bought a fram from sandmxr on ebay with a Mso......only to be faced with the horror that the powder coat company defaced the vin....after I did it the right way.....but I guess you can't understand that

All this being said. I worked for a powdercoat company for years. We had a special lead shot bead blaster built to remove paint off virtually anything that would fit. For nearly 3yrs I don't remember blasting a serial number off anything...

• Like 2

All this being said. I worked for a powdercoat company for years. We had a special lead shot bead blaster built to remove paint off virtually anything that would fit. For nearly 3yrs I don't remember blasting a serial number off anything...

Yeah. I have sandblasted many things and never destroyed something as deep as a VIN. I don't even know what you would blast with that would do that. Even if they were using slag.

Yeah. I have sandblasted many things and never destroyed something as deep as a VIN. I don't even know what you would blast with that would do that. Even if they were using slag.

Grinder....

• Like 1