Sign in to follow this  

Should I re jet?

Just bought a 2007 Yamaha grizzly. I am in Utah and I live at 4600ft. I ride mostly at 5k-8k ft. The bike I just bought was jetted for 9k ft. and it is rare that I get that high for long. It idles fine at 4600ft, my Q is should I re jet or just leave it as is? Also will it damage the engine to run it with that jetting at lower altitudes for extended amounts of time? I know running too lean or too rich can cause some series long term issues.

I'd say if its running fine now and your not having problems then why change it. If that's not the case then I would consider 're jetting it which isn't too hard to do and im no expert so I dont know how your current jetting at a lower altitude will affect your engine in the long run.

I would definitely rejet.  As you go higher you use smaller jets to compensate for the thinner air.  9000ft to 5000ft is a big jump.  And would probably be 2-3 sizes different between the two.   So at 5000' you are probably running a very lean fuel mixture, which is not good.  I personally would jet for 5000'.  That way as you go higher in elevation you will just get a richer mixture, which is less damaging.  Mainly fouled plugs apposed to a lean mixture which can lead to pre detonation and really do some damage.