Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis oversize tank--feedback from owners?

I see that Amazon has Acerbis oversize tanks for under $200.  I did a search but did not see much feedback on this brand, only IMS and Clarke.  Anybody using one?  How much does the width affect your riding?  Fit and finish?, etc.

Amazing tanks that feels great and last long. Long neck on it tho. You will learn one way or another not to rest up close to it or Bam. Lesson learned.

GoYamaha

Ouch.  I could not ride with that potential "bam factor". The high neck design tanks freak me out. So I have the Zip-Ty design tank. It has a lower/smoother top and carries the fuel weight very low.   But still, when I'm not trail riding I put the stock tank back on. Quick and easy.

If the rider stands up most the time, like on single track, then the high and sharp neck tank design is probably fine.   Personally I like forks with springs on the firm side for my weight, so I need to "drop in" and sit up near the filler cap for most corners when using a lot of power. 

Edited by numroe

Acerbis tanks are excellent tanks. The fit great and come dry break ready. Like mentioned before though it can be hazardous to the boys, not really a big deal. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398996270.909234.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398996286.725456.jpg

ugh, man, the height on that is a deal breaker... looks nasty and painful, lol.

The Good:

- Allows the flattest seat of all the big tanks.

- Provisions for second crossover petcock on right side if desired.

The not so good:

- No brass threaded inserts for petcock bolts.  (Think big self tapping screws)

- Does not take a standard Yamaha petcock.  A round file opens things up to accept a Yamaha WR petcock with reserve.

- Kickstarter rubs the tank and could be a problem if it wears through. (The newer tanks appear to have solved this)

- Big freaking front section to smash your nuts on...

All that being said, the flat seat is really a big deal to me so I can overlook the other short comings.

IMG_1864d.jpg

Edited by mylesc
  • Like 1

The Good:

- Allows the flattest seat of all the big tanks.

- Provisions for second crossover petcock on right side if desired.

The not so good:

- No brass threaded inserts for petcock bolts. (Think big self tapping screws)

- Does not take a standard Yamaha petcock. A round file opens things up to accept a Yamaha WR petcock with reserve.

- Kickstarter rubs the tank and could be a problem if it wears through. (The newer tanks appear to have solved this)

- Big freaking front section to smash your nuts on...

All that being said, the flat seat is really a big deal to me so I can overlook the other short comings.

IMG_1864d.jpg

What do you mean about the standard Yamaha pet cock? I have my oem one in that tank now. The lack of brass inserts is the biggest short coming in my opinion, just shitty. I also love the flat seat thing. I now have a guts tall seat (in my opinion not a tall seat just flat as it should be) and the bike feels great.

Mylesc, are you running the same ebc o/s rotor as I am? What front disc guard are you using if so?

Edited by Woodsweapon350

What do you mean about the standard Yamaha pet cock? I have my oem one in that tank now. The lack of brass inserts is the biggest short coming in my opinion, just shitty. I also love the flat seat thing. I now have a guts tall seat (in my opinion not a tall seat just flat as it should be) and the bike feels great.

Mylesc, are you running the same ebc o/s rotor as I am? What front disc guard are you using if so?

I found this pic on the internet of a suzuki DR petcock vs the Acerbis supplied petcock that came with my tank.  I opened up my tank with a file to fit a WR450 petcock, which has the 2 tubes similar to the DR unit pictured below.  The front disc guard is a Cycra and it just barely fits over the EBC rotor.  It rubbed a little at first, but the rotor wore a little groove in it and it does not touch now...

IMG_5940-M.jpg

IMG_5930%20Surfaced-M.jpg

Edited by mylesc

Acerbis made the plastics for lots of European brands since Noah asked a few of his animal friends to go on a leisurely cruise, I have one and cannot speak highly enough of it, access to sparkplug is great, filler neck is a ripper, plastic is very strong, takes a good solid thump easy enough, and I personally have no issue with the neck, it is so far forward that if you are hitting it, sorry you were on a one way trip to the bars anyway....

and I personally have no issue with the neck, it is so far forward that if you are hitting it, sorry you were on a one way trip to the bars anyway....

No way man ...  It depends on the type of riding. For stand up single track, yeah sure, BUT if you are placing the bike into something like a wooped out rut, going reasonably fast so there aint much time to plan the finer details and standing aint an option if you want to keep some life your inside foot and ankle, and just as you drop into the forward part of the seat, the front wheel rides over a bump that wasn't too obvious, then the bars and tank cap come firing straight back into your lap, just as your gonads are going forward, and BAM ride over - for at least 30 mins. The issue probably depends on the firmness of the suspension, especially the fork.  But bars and tank cap firing at the pelvis area is common enough without any chance of going over the front.  That big tank tower is a nut destroyer for a lot of riders. Gives me the shivers to look at it.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

No way man ...  It depends on the type of riding. For stand up single track, yeah sure, BUT if you are placing the bike into something like a wooped out rut, going reasonably fast so there aint much time to plan the finer details and standing aint an option if you want to keep some life your inside foot and ankle, and just as you drop into the forward part of the seat, the front wheel rides over a bump that wasn't too obvious, then the bars and tank cap come firing straight back into your lap, just as your gonads are going forward, and BAM ride over - for at least 30 mins. The issue probably depends on the firmness of the suspension, especially the fork.  But bars and tank cap firing at the pelvis area is common enough without any chance of going over the front.  That big tank tower is a nut destroyer for a lot of riders. Gives me the shivers to look at it.

whereas having learnt to ride with Moses granddad, I ride mostly rearend can count the number of nutcrackers in 44 years on one hand....

Edited by projectcxr
  • Like 1

whereas having learnt to ride with Moses granddad, I ride mostly rearend can count the number of nutcrackers in 44 years on one hand....

Try some more rear sag, or go up a rate on your fork springs.  Actually don't do that if you have one of those tanks. ;)