Sign in to follow this  

Clutch slow to disengage?

I just got back from riding in St. George, Utah and noticed my clutch being a little funny. When I shift into gear and start to release my clutch lever, the clutch won't start disengaging until the clutch lever is almost all the way out.

It doesn't seem to slip as I can still climb hill but have a fried it?  Before my trip the bike use to want to go as soon as I started to release the clutch lever.  Anybody else have this happen?

THanks,

Yep that's a weird one indeed. All clutches on 230's that I have ever seen "engage" when you let the lever out and "disengage" when you pull the lever in.

Yours seems to be opposite for some reason?

Yep that's a weird one indeed. All clutches on 230's that I have ever seen "engage" when you let the lever out and "disengage" when you pull the lever in.

Yours seems to be opposite for some reason?

Sorry I'm an idiot. No it is acting normal. It is engaging slowly.

In that case, may I offer a few suggestions?

1) with an official cable lube tool, lube your cables with a good quality cable lube. (Replace the cable with a new Factory Honda OEM cable if you have any doubts on its overall condition)

2) lube the lever pivot bolts with a quality waterproof grease after disassembly and cleaning with brake cleaner spray and compressed air.

3) clean and lube clutch release lever pivot at the clutch cover/case

4) using a Factory Honda OEM shop manual as a reference, properly adjust your clutch lever free play.

5) MAKE SURE you are using engine oil that is absolutely for use with A WET CLUTCH for MOTORCYCLES.

Again your owners/shop manual(s) can help you out with that.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out when your finished.

If your project turns out successful,

You should Clean and Lube your throttle assembly and lube your throttle cable while your at it.

Sorry I should have been more specific. It's not that the cable is slow to retract. It's that the bike won't start moving (engine under load) until the last 7/8 of letting the clutch lever out. So I can let my clutch lever out to half and it still won't begin to engage.

I also have been running Honda GN4 oil.

Just adjust the clutch cable ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398986693.815355.jpg

Pull back the black cover loosen the big part and turn in the smaller outer part. If it is adjusted all the way in like mine then you need to adjust thisImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398986828.622441.jpg

Sorry I should have been more specific. It's not that the cable is slow to retract. It's that the bike won't start moving (engine under load) until the last 7/8 of letting the clutch lever out. So I can let my clutch lever out to half and it still won't begin to engage.

I also have been running Honda GN4 oil.

I think that's the way Honda clutch's are.

Sounds like it's about time for a new clutch.  That's a wear item after all.  If it isn't slipping now it probably soon will be.  It's actually slipping through the entire 3/4 of the lever's action until your bike takes off.  At some point there won't be enough clutch left to keep from overpowering it when it's fully engaged.  At least that is my experience with this same issue on a different bike.

Edited by Harvo