My 2013 YZ250 build

How much does it help with traction on hard pack. Here in NY most tracks are very hard packed during the summer. I like the fact as well that the gytr is a complete flywheel, no bolts to come loose. Any suggestions on gearing (stock or +1 tooth on the rear)?

On every bike I've ridden with a flywheel weight it has helped traction a bit. Though it's still a 2 stroke and wants to spin everywhere.

For gearing I went up one tooth in the back and left the front stock.

I ran my 09 KTM 250 SX the same.

Thanks mxrider72 for the input on the flywheel weight and gearing.  One last question, has anybody done the head mod by eric gorr so you can run the bike on pump gas (93 octance tha has some ethanol in it). If so how does it run?  It is hard for me find race fuel to mix with pump gas to get just higher than the 95 octance rating in the manual.

Thanks mxrider72 for the input on the flywheel weight and gearing. One last question, has anybody done the head mod by eric gorr so you can run the bike on pump gas (93 octance tha has some ethanol in it). If so how does it run? It is hard for me find race fuel to mix with pump gas to get just higher than the 95 octance rating in the manual.

Check the stickies at the top of this forum section for the frequently asked questions. There is a link in that thread to the head modification head with lots of info.

Thanks mxrider72 for the input on the flywheel weight and gearing. One last question, has anybody done the head mod by eric gorr so you can run the bike on pump gas (93 octance tha has some ethanol in it). If so how does it run? It is hard for me find race fuel to mix with pump gas to get just higher than the 95 octance rating in the manual.

I did the squish on my bike. Is it some mind blowing difference? No. But the bike does run better, easier to jet and has a bit more torque with no detonation...

• Like 1

I did check the squish band thread.  Some many pages to view and I did not see any info directly pertaining to the eric gorr head mod for pump gas.  Just wanted to see if anybody had it done and see if the bike ran the same.  Just want to run pump gas but don't want the bike to run worse.  Thanks for the info Monk.

I did check the squish band thread. Some many pages to view and I did not see any info directly pertaining to the eric gorr head mod for pump gas. Just wanted to see if anybody had it done and see if the bike ran the same. Just want to run pump gas but don't want the bike to run worse. Thanks for the info Monk.

I run 94...

I find this interesting since in 2011 or so they went to the "world model" YZ which has lower compression and is designed to run on lower octane fuel. Monk, you are running an older model correct?

My only benchmark is with VP C9 fuel, and it runs good on that in the small testing I've done. It is 96 PON. (R+M/2)

Edited by MXRider72

I find this interesting since in 2011 or so they went to the "world model" YZ which has lower compression and is designed to run on lower octane fuel. Monk, you are running an older model correct?

My only benchmark is with VP C9 fuel, and it runs good on that in the small testing I've done. It is 96 PON. (R+M/2)

Yes, 07, cut head but not a reshaped dome. 94 octane @ 50:1 using Maxima K2, timing retarded 1°....

If you're going to have EG do the head, you just have to specify pump fuel use and you're stylin'.  Depending on the head, he may correct the squish, THEN make the combustion chamber a touch larger for the fuel used, depending on how much was removed in step 1. 

Got the GYTR by FMF exhaust system installed today. I think I am basically done with this bike for the near future. I still want a WC clutch lever, and the Hammerhead shift and brake levers, but they aren't too high on my priority list. This winter maybe it will get some Ride Engineering blue triple clamps and a set of blue Kite, Talon, or Rad hubs to go with the extra set of silver Excel rims I have in the garage. But for now I'm happy with how it came out. To top it all off, with all of these mods, I'm still cheaper than buying that 14 YZ450F and leaving it stock.

61B12628-511C-4A64-9F30-0B6AC856FBD6_zps

2762F224-BB11-49A1-942A-CEE197C2C6D6_zps

211DBFA8-7B6C-4A18-8F60-391BC7BFD12E_zps

588267D4-4473-4067-9572-317E49E6F780_zps

77F1AA03-7DE0-4475-9A18-D438680A75F2_zps

18E42D6F-0EEF-448F-8292-64EA823AD8DA_zps

70FAE441-E8EC-4B85-9BA5-BDDCE6E76BAE_zps

8FF6267C-A60A-4A60-A93F-C019C78F0601_zps

C6EB7A29-62CC-40E0-9F3B-B658F989CFB6_zps

3D19CBDC-FF90-438E-B927-1B4897AB5206_zps

Edited by MXRider72
  • Like 1

Ok, very nice....but you gotta get that sucker dirty!  I bet it will break your heart the first time you get it dirty too.

Dude, I know it. It's killing me to have it sit in the garage. 4 days after I got it, I pulled a muscle in my back at work and that put me down hard for about a week. Then the next week is mothers day, and I spent it with my fiance and step son. Then we went camping and I got to ride my WR for a little bit on some fire roads. That's about the extent of my riding this past 4 weeks since I got it. Soon, I hope...

Hows it sound with that new exhaust vs stock?

It seems a bit louder, but all I did was start it up for about a minute on the stand.

• Like 1