Sign in to follow this  

What dirt bike should I get

Hi im new to dirt bikes and I am wondering what bike I should get as my first bike. I am 5 5 and 120lbs. I mainly ride in the trails and am interested in doing some hare scrambles. The past times I have went riding I have been using a honda 80cc 4 stroke which is really small but its the only bike I could ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

If you are completely new to riding I would suggest a 150f. Good power for tight trails. Personally, I just bought a 250f for my first bike but I rip around on my friends 125's and 150 before that. The 250 is a lot of power for me and im 5' 11" 150 pounds. But its up to you. I would suggest a 150f or 230f since you are smaller. Good luck.

Im trying to keep it under $1100. And I have been looking at the Honda crf 150r and the  honda cr85r would that be too much power for a beginner?

Edited by con01313

CR85 isn't the best trail bike. You gotta keep it wound to make any power. The four stroke will be much easier to learn and hone your skills on. The power on the 150 is easier to control versus the 85. Suspension on the 150 will be more suited for trail as well.

Do you think I could handle a 125? Im thinking about just getting that so I dont have to sell a 150 after a year or so.

A 125 may take a while to get used to....but there great bikes :ride:

Ok thanks thats what I have been told but once I learn ill be good right?

An older kdx would be hard to beat. They also make fantastic hare scramblers. If your gonna race mx, get a mx bike. Riding a 125 in the woods causes you to focus on engine rpm/gear selection/clutch slipping at least as much as conquering the terrain/obstacles. A trail bike will have handy items such as correct gearing, kickstand, bigger tank,etc. You will become a better rider, faster on a bike built for the type of riding you will be doing. Everyone would love to look cool riding a mx bike, but it's not cool when your riding buddies are always waiting for you at the trail head.

Edited by ickfinger

An older kdx would be hard to beat. They also make fantastic hare scramblers. If your gonna race mx, get a mx bike. Riding a 125 in the woods causes you to focus on engine rpm/gear selection/clutch slipping at least as much as conquering the terrain/obstacles. A trail bike will have handy items such as correct gearing, kickstand, bigger tank,etc. You will become a better rider, faster on a bike built for the type of riding you will be doing. Everyone would love to look cool riding a mx bike, but it's not cool when your riding buddies are always waiting for you at the trail head.

what cc of the kdx should I get?

200c.c. Although that may sound like a lot,but the way they deliver power is truly remarkable. They are docile while you are learning, but can go like hell when you want to.

Ok thanks I will have to wait till I can find one in Illinois though just looked it up and couldnt find any here

Lol I was kidding. Learn to ride on a cr or yz 125. 2 strokes are harder to ride but build better riding habits. 4 strokes are much easier to ride but if you learn on a 2 stroke then any other bike will be easy. Also 2 strokes are so much easier to rebuild and maintain. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Lol I was kidding. Learn to ride on a cr or yz 125. 2 strokes are harder to ride but build better riding habits. 4 strokes are much easier to ride but if you learn on a 2 stroke then any other bike will be easy. Also 2 strokes are so much easier to rebuild and maintain. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Lol thanks I was hoping you werent for real