Sign in to follow this  

Cam tensioner cap bolt...

Hey, before the I get to my problem, I should introduce myself.

My name is Tyler and I live in Salt Lake City.

I bought a 2011 kx450f from my cousin last September with a blown up engine (30 minutes of riding with a dropped valve!!!) and spent plenty of time over the winter fixing it back up.

Now my problem. I took it out riding today and after about 20 minutes I returned to grab some water. I noticed plenty of fluid around the left side of the engine, behind the cylinder and the smell of burning oil. After some investigation, I figured out that the oil was coming from the tensioner. The bolt that covers the tension adjustment was loose but not out. I tried to tighten it and it would grab on a little but then slip, as if the threads of the tensioner were stripped.

I think I have to get a new tensioner and bolt, but I'm also looking for any less expensive ways to fix it. With that said, Budget isn't terribly important.

Thanks, 

- Tyler

Don't be cheap when it comes to the cam chain tensioner, that thing is pretty important. I have never seen an issue like this with the cap bolt, but it's only gets torqued to 44 inch pounds, which is basically nothing. So it was probably stripped out in the past. Buy and new one and call it good.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on it. I tighten it by hand until its seated and give a small tug with a T handle and call it good. Same thing I do with the oil filter cap bolts, easy to mess up and pain to fix.