Sign in to follow this  

I love the crf more than my wr!

So i own a few dual sports. The 01 xr650r is barely street legal but is super fun but no electric start. I just sold my wr250r to a buddy because i didn't enjoy it, even after dumping money into everything i didn't enjoy it as much as the crf250l. Im probably one of the few that would prefer the crf over the wr!

• Like 6

What in particular do you like better? I've wanted to ride a we for a while just to compare.

• Like 2

What in particular do you like better? I've wanted to ride a wr for a while just to compare.

Yes !!! ....... I would like to hear as well ...  :thumbsup:

I've always gotten this image that the wr is substantially more powerful than the crf. But numbers don't show that being true.

• Like 1

The WR is a more powerful bike off the show floor but comes at a big price ... for the money you save on the CRF you could buy Race Tech suspension and a 305 kit and still have change back ....  :ride:

The CRF also has the power down low where it is needed more on the trails ...  :thumbsup:

63499144503453719313_dualsport_hp.jpg

63499144519397634713_dualsport_torque.jp

• Like 4

i can tell you for me personally after i sat on one in the showroom, that was the end all be all for me...  i felt like i was gonna topple over. (and i almost did...hahah )..  i am only 5'9"-10" with a 31" inseam...  but that's all i can say bad about it...  maybe SM'd out i would have liked it more, but not for a 21-18 wheel combo..  note* this was from JUST sitting on it... 

• Like 2

LOL Eye!  That would be great to fall over on the showroom floor haha!  I agree thou, between the taller seat, the $2000+ higher price, and the high strung/makes all its power on the top end motor, the CRFL was an easy choice.

• Like 3

We've never had it here, because it's too expensive. There's WR250F, WR450F, for the offroad riders, most people truck their bikes to go ride, and there's the 660 Tenere.

sm,...yes, have seen many on supermotojunkies forum. like the 660, there is the factory sm version.

Those dyno charts show a lot. There are lot of similarities between the CRF250L and the KLX, i dunno why.

The torque chart ! max torque quite similar but the KLX has it at almost 2000rpm higher! yegh!

I've always ridden single track and I wanted the wr believing that it would do good on single track and as a commuter. Now when I say single track I'm not talking about mellow trails, me and my budy always get into some rough stuff. Something about the ergonomics of the wr threw me off. I could fly through the trails on a huge xr650r and not dump her once. The wr on the other hand I would dump at least 10 times a ride. Even after re gearing and new tires it still didn't feel right. It was also so darn tall I couldn't even back into parking spaces. Even though the crf has less hp and less suspension it's been more fun than the wr ever was. I'm a pretty light guy at 5 10 and a 168lbs so I think the crf suspension is alright as long as I'm not jumping her. It just got too frustrating when I had a 2013 wr that looked worse than a 2008 because I dumped it so much. And i think aesthetically it is more appealing than the stock wr250r.

Edited by kpla51
  • Like 4

Being 6'1 210 but new to riding I really thought the wr was the way to go but...the crf250l looks so much better!!!!! I really wonder about the WR suspension and taller seat height ? I ride this honda through tight woods, steep hills and rippin the roads...so far It's great, when the throttle cracks that YOSHI in 3rd gear it's unreal!!! I find myself staring @it for.5-10 mins before I fire it up and smile. When I was 9 and my friends rode XR80s and I was not allowed dirt bikes it killed me,I've waited 36 yrs for my first HONDA!! It was worth the wait!!!

• Like 6

Being 6'1 210 but new to riding I really thought the wr was the way to go but...the crf250l looks so much better!!!!! I really wonder about the WR suspension and taller seat height ? I ride this honda through tight woods, steep hills and rippin the roads...so far It's great, when the throttle cracks that YOSHI in 3rd gear it's unreal!!! I find myself staring @it for.5-10 mins before I fire it up and smile. When I was 9 and my friends rode XR80s and I was not allowed dirt bikes it killed me,I've waited 36 yrs for my first HONDA!! It was worth the wait!!!

Congrats !!! 

I am glad you found what you wanted .... I have been doing the same damn thing ... I saw what I wanted and knew what I had to do to it to make me happy ...  :thumbsup:

imlovinitco2.png

• Like 2

Haha the little CRFL does sound pretty damn sweet, thats for sure.  I was riding my bike up the canyon today, its a mostly single lane dirt forest service road, come around a corner and there was a guy on a new KTM 690 Enduro stopped where there was a steep section of road with some rutted out snow/ice pack still covering it.  Its in the trees so its one of the few parts of the road that still has much snow on it now, also one of the steepest parts of the whole road.  As I approached I laughed to myself a bit, because Iv already been thru there 1-2 days earlier a couple times, so I knew the little CRFL could do it.  Just plant your ass on the back of the seat, give her some R's just enough to keep the wheel spinning smoothly, then just hang on and let the little tractor dig!  So I pull up next to him at the bottom of the snow and we start chatting, he says something to the effect of "nice bike, sounds great, is it a 450?"  nope, just a 250.  His eyes get a little big "  .....   wow, that thing sounded mean commin up the trail!  Mine sounds like a honda civic, that thing sounds great!"  At first he thought it was a 450X modded to be street legal.  Then he realized it was the new little L.  I really got a kick out of it thou, guy on a big ol' KTM 690 thumper, and he loved the sound of the tame little CRFL so much!  Talked to him some more and figured out he rides BMW adventure bikes with some other guys I know.  So we talk about the bikes for a few minutes and I commented on how damn tall that KTM was, I wouldnt be riding it thru that snow either!  He says yea throw a leg over it!  So with it still on the kick stand and leaned over I threw my leg over, could barely even get my tip toes on the low side down, the foot on the high side, was probably still a foot in the air!  This guy was about the same size as me too.  I told him thats half the reason I bought the CRFL, cuz its low... and cheap!  So he ends up pushing his bike up this 100yd run of nasty snow.   I just tractored thru on the little L, paddling with my legs to keep her upright.  Once we got out of the top of the canyon we jumped on the highway to the next road over, rode a ways in to the top of a hill, where the road drops off the other side was still covered in snow drifts, this time of year all you can really do is "probe" the roads to see how far you can get in.  So we stopped and chatted again before parting ways, he kept commenting how much he liked the little L, that hes had the Kawasaki KLX250S before and this bike looked like a big improvement on that.  It was cool to find another dual sport rider, because around here everyone rides big utility quads or side by sides.  Hardly ever see a dirt bike, let alone a dual sport.

Ok that got a little long winded, but I suppose it sort of goes with the theme "I love my CRFL more than my...." 

• Like 5

I believe those KTM have 13 inches of travel !!

I just had to look at the KTM site out of curiosity.  The 690 has 9.8 inches of travel and 35.8" seat height.  The other street legal dual sports, the 350 and 500, have 11" front and 13" rear with 38" seat height.  I think the CRFL has just a little over 8" of travel and around a 32" seat height?  Ill sacrifice a little travel for a seat I can actually get a foot to the ground on.  How a guy with a 30" inseam is supposed to get a foot on the ground and feel comfortable on a 38" tall bike is beyond me.  Honestly I doubt I hardly use the 8" of travel, the only time you really would is if you were jumping the bike pretty good, and I just dont do that, its not made for it.  Yea Ill catch some air off the berms in dirt roads for water control (cant think of their proper name) and other obstacles like that.  But never more than a couple feet at most.  Ill run the snot out of this thing down a two track dirt road, all rutted out and full of pot holes, ride it as crazy as I can, and I know its not using 8" of travel.  As long as your not takin it off any sweet jumps, 8" is plenty (thats NOT what she said!)

Yesterday when I was riding home on the dirt road I came into a corner way too hot, tried to brake but was whiskey throttling the shit outa it.  Ended up going off the outside of the corner, right over about a 12"-14" tall "wall" on the edge of the road where the road grader had basically cut a wall into the edge of the road, where the terrain came down the meet the road.  So half of me was saying "slow down, slow down, you wont make the corner but it will hurt less when you eat shit!", the other half was saying "hell no, were in this to deep now, whiskey throttle!!!"  So I went right over this "wall" at about a 30* angle, then managed to miss what looked to be a wooden fence post laying down ontop of the "wall", somehow managed not to wipe out, steered it toward the road and back down the "wall" again, and just kept going like nothin happened hahaha!  I so wish I had that on film, it must of looked hilarious, probably legs flailing everywhere.  Im pretty sure the whiskey throttle saved my ass and got me over that "wall", if all I did was brake and hit it at the angle I did the front would of probably grabbed into it like a bad rut, washed out, and threw my ass down into the baseball sized rocks like I owed them money!  Oh man I laughed so hard when I rode thru that and actually came out still on the bike hahaha!

When in doubt, throttle out!  Probably the most true statement ever made!

I love my CRFL!

• Like 5

damn man....   :rolleyes:   hahahahahaha i will admit it also.... i have come in hot on a few turns on this bike and i have just gone with it... works like a charm... not saying i didn't say, "ooooooh shiiiiiiiiiitttttt" in head while doing it...  but i agree....  i am all about not fighting the forces that be....  haha  

i would loved to have been the fly on the cow pattie watching your excursion... 

• Like 4

Every day I'm full throttling!!!!!!!! Was -1 this morning but I only commute 3 km and 2km is on trail! Ha!

• Like 2