Sign in to follow this  

coughing/hesitation

Hey guys,

I bought an 02 wr250 Motard to use while my DRZ is being rebuilt (I think I like the Wr more already) and have noticed 2 things;

When I am cruising at a constant speed generally in 4th or 5th the bike is coughing for a split second sometimes only once and other times it'll go 3-4 times. It sometimes happens when accelerating slowly as well, I'm thinking carb clean is in order but want some opinions on it.

The other issue is when I come to a stand still in first gear with clutch pulled right in it feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaged, the bike wants to roll forward. If I pull the clutch in and just roll there is definitely something slowing the bike down, when I release the clutch it doesn't feel much different to having it in. Would a new set of clutch springs and plates fix this?

Thanks

On the stuttering thing, search previous posts with TPS or throttle position sensor. Fairly common as this is a race bike and steady throttle and old worn carb needles plus steady throttle position sensors have an effect on it.

I removed the TPS, bike felt quite sluggish and did not want to zip through the gears. I think an overhaul of carb will help but its not really that bad, just something id prefer not to have 

You have a worn needle jet.

The needle slowly wears it away and you get a stutter from a rich condition at low throttle openings which can't be jetted out easily.

Replace needle jet and it should clear right up.