Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM nothing works

So 2 weeks ago I bought this 2009 DRZ400SM and since I can't ride it on the road yet, I ride around the yard/woods for very short periods of time

So this afternoon I thought I'd give her a spin, jump on the bike turn the key on (everything is normal at this point) and press the start button, I hear a single click (from the solenoid I presume?)

and that's it, nothing else works, dashboard doesn't light up, lights are dead and so is the horn.

Started looking on the web did not find much leading to my problem except for loose connectors and fuse location, both of which were fine

My battery reads around 12.2 volts, thought maybe it was too low so I put the charger on it and tried on start/boost mode, but this time when I turned the key the dashboard flashed only once then noting.

So I'm wondering if the bike has some sort of safety when the voltage drops bellow a certain point on the battery it just shuts itself off?

Also wondering if any of you guys have had/read about this problem.

Thanks

Slow charge it over night and see if it helps?

Edited by fuentes52

12.2 is low, but agm batteries can read the high 12's and still not put any amperage. Easiest thing to do, is either pull the battery and have it load tested, or try andcarefully jump the battery with a non running auto. That way you've eliminated the battery and move forward in trouble shooting if it still has issues.

• Like 1

12.2 is low, but agm batteries can read the high 12's and still not put any amperage. Easiest thing to do, is either pull the battery and have it load tested, or try andcarefully jump the battery with a non running auto. That way you've eliminated the battery and move forward in trouble shooting if it still has issues.

+1,  remove the batt and hook it up to a non running car,  if all lights up and you can hit the starter to where it works,  its the battery. 

Double check the fuse isn't blown too, sounds kinda obvious but this is similar to what happened to me before. Had a fuse blow before, went and checked checked it and you could barely tell it was blown, so in my hurry i said it was good and started looking for other problems  :bonk:

Double check the fuse isn't blown too, sounds kinda obvious but this is similar to what happened to me before. Had a fuse blow before, went and checked checked it and you could barely tell it was blown, so in my hurry i said it was good and started looking for other problems  :bonk:

Check fuses with a test light or meter on resistance setting to make sure its ok.

Hook it to a car, jump it, test your voltage at the battery, it should read over 13volts for sure running. That would eliminate your stator being bad, regulator and rectifier as far as I know.

• Like 1

So I connected my bike to a non running car (as you guys said) and it couldn't be better, everything is fine.

Then checked my voltage from the three yellow wires that comes out of the stator and goes to the RR and I get around 50-60V and goes up with RPM, so I presume my stator works fine.

I'll have the battery checked, and most likely replaced, but what concerns me is why did it go bad in the first place? 

So I connected my bike to a non running car (as you guys said) and it couldn't be better, everything is fine.

Then checked my voltage from the three yellow wires that comes out of the stator and goes to the RR and I get around 50-60V and goes up with RPM, so I presume my stator works fine.

I'll have the battery checked, and most likely replaced, but what concerns me is why did it go bad in the first place?

when was it manufactored? it usually says on the battery. after a while if the battery is old it will lose its static charge and amps and not work correctly, hard starting etc. Also accesories can kill a battery overnight... Edited by fuentes52

when was it manufactored? it usually says on the battery. after a while if the battery is old it will lose its static charge and amps and not work correctly, hard starting etc. Also accesories can kill a battery overnight...

Ok yeah I'll check that, but when is a battery "old"/needs replacing?

Ok yeah I'll check that, but when is a battery "old"/needs replacing?

depends they offen lose the cranking amps after awile. im a diesel mechanic and ive seen 5 year old batterys run strong and brand new truck batterys need new batterys cause stuff is left on.... it kinda depends on how you maintain it., you have to make sure all connections are clean and such. a battery is a battery just like any other  they go bad after being used  

It's probably not bad per say, you need a battery tender. They will slowly loose charge if ur not riding. Its not like a car battery, when ur not riding for awhile you should keep it on a battery tender. I've done woods riding before and the same thing happened to me, although street riding without a tender on off times will result in your battery slowly losing charge just the same.

As lead acid batteries drain a layer of sulfate forms on the surface of the plates.  Normally this is soft and as soon as the battery charges back up it dissolves again.  If the battery is drained too far, or if it is left low for too long then the sulfate layer hardens and a charge is not enough to dislodge it.  The effective area of the plates becomes much smaller so although the voltage looks good as soon as load is applied it drops off rapidly.

A charger with a desulfate mode can sometimes help.

Severely draining a battery only a few times can be enough to damage it permanently.  A week old battery that has been abused could be wrecked while a 5 year old one could be just fine.  How well the charging system tops off the battery will effect how well the sulfate is removed each time.