Sign in to follow this  

Below knee right leg amputee needs help

Hey guys lost my right leg below the knee last year and am trying to come up with a mod for my 99 cr250 to switch the front and rear brakes. I think it would be the easiest way to go but I would need custom brake lines made. Is there a company out there that can do this? Has anyone got any better suggestions for making the rear brake more usable?

Where would the clutch be? Im pretty novice dirt bike rider but have ridden cruisers for years....On the road you use your rear about 30% Is it the same on dirt I`m not looking to race or anything I can use the brake some but if its used a lot Id like a little more control on the rear brake.

Either a auto clutch or they make one that is thumb operated. You use mostly front brake

like he said, auto clutch and a left hand brake is the way to go. you could do this with off the shelf parts fairly quickly and easily. it would honestly probably give you more control over the bike than the stock configuration.

Have you tried riding with the prosthetic? Maybe you could put your boot on over top of it so the distance would be right. Then you could try to get used to it? Idk. Maybe that would work.

Ok thanks for the heads up on the auto clutch I didnt know such a thing was out there. I‘ve ridden a few atv‘s gscx but I dont have any ankle movement on the pegs so its next to impossible the feel how hard Im riding the brake. I picked this CR up for a hundred bucks it‘s a basket case but it gives me something to do during the day instead of annoying the wife.

Hey guys lost my right leg below the knee last year and am trying to come up with a mod for my 99 cr250 to switch the front and rear brakes. I think it would be the easiest way to go but I would need custom brake lines made. Is there a company out there that can do this? Has anyone got any better suggestions for making the rear brake more usable?

It has been a while since I worked with hydraulic systems, but I recall the concept of a proportioning valves where by you could regulate pressure to each of a series of hydraulic or pneumatic outputs to control motion. This could allow you to run both brakes from a single master cylinder and adjust the pressure ratio to each via the proportioning valve. 70% front 30% rear etc. At minimum you would need a larger master cylinder to supply both slaves. Getting the feel right might take some work and I don't doubt a somewhat muscular right hand grip as well. I think BMW and Honda did something like this on their touring bikes. Maybe you could use parts from those applications.

Regards,

Paul

is a thumb brake not an option? im a mx novice aswell but in the sporsbike world its common for people with injuries to the right leg to use a thumb operated rear brake, particularly in club races/trackdays

Like others have mentioned, a Rekluse and LHRB setup would be the cats meow... As for the clutch you can either keep it as the Rekluse system does allow for it or scrap it all together...

Is that you, Gabe?

I knew a guy for many years who lost his left arm in a traffic accident.  He rode a built Triumph 650 all over the place with the clutch, brake, and throttle all on the right grip.  Worked it all like a concert pianist.  Used to do wheelies past the dealership downtown.  You can do anything you decide to.

Use a left hand rear, and a Rekluse Z-Start Pro with both levers on the same side.  You'll hardly ever need the clutch lever, and the pull with that clutch is one-finger light.  That would be my approach.

On mine I used a hayes stroker mountain bike master cylinder. That is what the recluse system uses.

The Rekluse system has nothing to do with any master cylinder.  You may be referring to the currently obsolete setup they once had that mounted a left hand brake on the old Z-Start (NOT the Z-Start Pro), which did not use a clutch lever.  That setup was designed to retain the foot pedal while adding a hand brake function.